ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malware and Sandboxed vulnerable programs with driver components.

3 posters

Go down

Malware and Sandboxed vulnerable programs with driver components. Empty Malware and Sandboxed vulnerable programs with driver components.

Post by D1G1T@L 5/6/2012, 01:36

I was thinking about this the other day. If a trusted program on the host that has a driver component, and its running in the sandbox and a malicious executable finds a hole in that programs driver, can it potentially escape? I know that for example there are PDF reader programs that have virtual printers.

D1G1T@L

Back to top Go down

Malware and Sandboxed vulnerable programs with driver components. Empty Re: Malware and Sandboxed vulnerable programs with driver components.

Post by ssj100 5/6/2012, 02:20

I thought Sandboxie 32-bit (and 64-bit with Experimental Protection enabled) had no issues with containing "driver components"?
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Malware and Sandboxed vulnerable programs with driver components. Empty Re: Malware and Sandboxed vulnerable programs with driver components.

Post by D1G1T@L 5/6/2012, 03:10

I understand that new drivers cannot be installed in the sandbox however, what I am talking about is programs installed outside the sandbox and are being executed sandboxed. They are still able to communicate with their drivers that are run outside. That's how AV's are still able to scan within the sandbox when a manual scan is initiated in a sandboxed windows explorer.

What I am curious about is if something could compromise such a sandboxed legit process outside that has a driver component outside and drawbridge out of isolation.

D1G1T@L

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Man 25/9/2012, 04:23

I doubt it. Drivers just allow a program to interact with a specific set of hardware. If I install program A and it uses a driver to interact with the webcam it'll install that driver. I then sandbox A with, say, Sandboxie. It should still be able to use that driver to interact with the hardware, but that's all.

It's only a set of instructions on how to do something, it can't do anything on its own as far as I know. Obviously if you give Program A write access to the driver it could turn it into anything but you already know that.

Hungry Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down