ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review

3 posters

Go down

COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review Empty COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review

Post by ssj100 26/7/2010, 10:56

Just watched a rather interesting video of CIS. Several executables (clearly .exe file types) appeared to go right through Comodo's Defense+/Sandbox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_vFxPJ59I

I decided to test one of the executables myself (the first link that is tested in the video and that appears to bypass CIS). The file is called "exe.exe" and it is downloaded from a site that sounds like it hosts malware.

Instead of running it straight from Internet Explorer, I decide to download it on to my desktop. These are its properties:
COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review 66798219

It actually looks like a genuine file and I've managed to Google it on other web-sites. Its original file name appears to be "Twunk_16.exe". Here's VirusTotal's analysis of it:
COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review 79999992
COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review 27642211

We can therefore probably conclude that this file is indeed harmless and not malware. I wonder if "ballader1" (the uploader of the youtube video) knows about this? I'd assume that the other files he tested and that bypassed Comodo were also harmless?

However, I don't really care about that really (the fact that "ballader1" is possibly/probably trying to maliciously make Comodo look bad - people do this all the time haha). What I really do care about is as follows:

1. "exe.exe" (a seemingly non-malicious file) seems to go right past CIS with no alerts. Even after unchecking "Trust applications digitally signed by Trusted Software Vendors", enabling Proactive configuration, and putting Defense+ at Paranoid level, no alerts are shown. Why is this?

2. The only alert Malware Defender shows is this:
COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review 53462170
For those that want to know, the complete "Cmd line" is:
Code:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe" -f -i7 -w -a C:\WINDOWS\system32\krnl386.exe
As you can see, there is no reference to "exe.exe". Why is this?

3. Software Restriction Policies (SRP) blocks it:
COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review 73018425

So how does one explain this? I'm sure there's a perfectly valid (and obvious) explanation for this. Of course, this file doesn't appear to be malicious anyway, but I'm just confused at the fact that CIS didn't throw up any alerts and Malware Defender didn't reference the original file (while SRP did).

I'd appreciate any helpful comments. Cheers.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review Empty Re: COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review

Post by ssj100 26/7/2010, 11:06

Does "16-bit" have anything to do with it? I ask this because the process ("ntvdm.exe") that's called is described as follows:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ntvdm/

ntvdm.exe is process that belongs to the Windows 16-bit Virtual Machine. It provides an environment for a 16-bit process to execute on a 32-bit platform. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review Empty Re: COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review

Post by Sadeghi85 26/7/2010, 11:18

Its original file name appears to be "Twunk_16.exe"

It's the same windows file Twunk_16.exe. md5: F36A271706EDD23C94956AFB56981184
COMODO Internet Security Premium Prevention Test/Review Twunk_16j7nq

Sadeghi85

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadeghi85 26/7/2010, 11:21

Does CIS use white-list?

Sadeghi85

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 26/7/2010, 11:25

Right, thanks Sadeghi85. That possibly explains everything. However, I still don't exactly understand why the Classical HIPS failed to give appropriate alerts. The fact is that a duplicate Windows file (renamed) came on to the desktop and was allowed to execute without any reference to it.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 26/7/2010, 11:27

Sadeghi85 wrote:Does CIS use white-list?

It's got a Classical HIPS, so not really. languy99 may be able to explain more.

EDIT: actually from memory, CIS does use a white-list, but I thought unchecking "Trust applications digitally signed by Trusted Software Vendors" would disable the white-list.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 26/7/2010, 11:37

Yes, I remember that thread. Essentially I still have no idea about this white-list and no one was able to clarify it for me in that thread (which was a little frustrating). Regardless, unchecking "Trust applications digitally signed by Trusted Software Vendors" would make this irrelevant right?
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by languy99 26/7/2010, 11:40

ssj100 wrote:
Sadeghi85 wrote:Does CIS use white-list?

It's got a Classical HIPS, so not really. languy99 may be able to explain more.

EDIT: actually from memory, CIS does use a white-list, but I thought unchecking "Trust applications digitally signed by Trusted Software Vendors" would disable the white-list.

the files he used in the test I bet were not all malware, files I use in my testing is verified malware. CIS does use a white list/trusted vendors list, remember that in 4.1 they are also introducing cloud white listing so even if you disable the trusted vendors list CIS sometimes still looks up the file on the servers and sees if it is safe allows it to run. The new version will really look everything up online.
languy99
languy99
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 26/7/2010, 11:47

Thanks languy99.

I just went back to configure CIS so that it throws up an alert on everything "explorer.exe" does. It basically gives the same result as Malware Defender. So that part is solved at least.

However, I still don't understand why there is no alert asking whether to allow "explorer.exe" to execute "exe.exe". Of course, this is purely academic, but perhaps it's potentially a way for malware writers to exploit Classical HIPS in general?
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by languy99 26/7/2010, 11:53

Those alerts are not there in the stock configuration. Only if you change it to proactive configuration will you see those alerts. There really is no need anymore for those alerts since the sandbox has come into use.
languy99
languy99
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down