ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favourite browser?

+11
DarkPhoenix
ALIV
tnegjm
Ruhe
Soyabeaner
Jlelono
secret365
Danny
ssj100
noorismail
Dude111
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is your favourite browser? Vote_lcap4%What is your favourite browser? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
What is your favourite browser? Vote_lcap74%What is your favourite browser? Vote_rcap 74% 
[ 20 ]
What is your favourite browser? Vote_lcap0%What is your favourite browser? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What is your favourite browser? Vote_lcap11%What is your favourite browser? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]
What is your favourite browser? Vote_lcap11%What is your favourite browser? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 27

What is your favourite browser? Empty What is your favourite browser?

Post by Dude111 25/7/2010, 18:18

I have IE6 on here but i mostly use MyIE2 (That uses the IE6 engine)

I think IE6 is the BEST of the IE series but it isnt good for begginers who dont know about security!

IE8 for example is more geared towards begginers who arent as familiar..

As long as the user knows how to set things up,ANY BROWSER CAN BE SECURE Smile

What do you think?

Dude111

Back to top Go down

What is your favourite browser? Empty Re: What is your favourite browser?

Post by noorismail 25/7/2010, 19:12

I have been with Firefox since the days it really was Alternative.
For most of that time I would never have switched.

Now,if I could get a "DownloadThemAll"-equivalent add on,I would use Chrome.
(or even better Iron)

I also agree that the user is biggest factor in any security system.

By the way,Welcome to the Forum!!!

noor
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Dude111 26/7/2010, 02:41

Thank you my friend,its good being ashore here Smile

Dude111

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 26/7/2010, 06:31

Another vote for Firefox here - it's mainly the extensions and the reliable page rendering that keep me to it.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny 29/7/2010, 16:14

Only Firefox, Smile

Danny

Back to top Go down

Post by secret365 29/7/2010, 17:20

Firefox is my choice.

secret365

Back to top Go down

Post by Jlelono 29/7/2010, 19:00

My favourite: Firefox with Adblock Plus, NoScript, TACO and flashgot as add on
Jlelono
Jlelono

Back to top Go down

Post by Soyabeaner 14/8/2010, 00:08

Firefox only for web development and Opera for everything else.

Soyabeaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 14/8/2010, 01:21

Firefox mainly (99% Firefox, 1% IE)
Never tried Chrome, and this will never happen.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tnegjm 14/8/2010, 03:59

Firefox mostly (99%)
IE8 (1%) Banking only

Both individually sandboxied.

tnegjm

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 14/8/2010, 04:25

tnegjm wrote:Firefox mostly (99%)
IE8 (1%) Banking only

Both individually sandboxied.

Sounds exactly the same as me, except my ratio is probably more like Firefox 95% and IE8 5%.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by tnegjm 14/8/2010, 05:20

I've been using it like that for almost two years now with no problems.
IE sandbox is set to autodelete. I only access IE after the FF sandbox has been closed and deleted and vise versa.

tnegjm

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 14/8/2010, 05:26

tnegjm wrote:I've been using it like that for almost two years now with no problems.
IE sandbox is set to autodelete. I only access IE after the FF sandbox has been closed and deleted and vise versa.

Yes, that's exactly how I've recommended to set up and use Sandboxie for banking and other sensitive browsing. In this way, you'll always be immune to logging malware (eg. keyloggers, screenloggers etc), as you'll always be starting with a freshly installed IE.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ALIV 27/8/2010, 07:52

Using Chrome right now, but I voted for Firefox (my default the vast majority of the time for a little over 6 years now).
ALIV
ALIV

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkPhoenix 2/12/2010, 08:41

I used to be a Firefox guy.. but not anymore I use it's younger brother ( trunk build really) Minefield ver 4.08b. Why use a pre beta version? it's 64 bit and it works Great with the new adobe labs Flash Player pre beta "Squared' plugin!

I have been waiting 2 years for this and now I have a 64 bit browser than can play flash movies and do it all for Windows 64 bit!! YAY!!

It's FAST Too! Way faster than the official Firefox version.

It's all part of getting rid of all my 32 bit apps and making everything 64 bit baby!

Oh yeah.. and I run it sandboxed through Sandbixie. Chrome WISHES it was This secure!

DarkPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyfriend 21/1/2011, 14:04

Previous Choice: Firefox 3

Current Choice: Google Chrome 8

Boyfriend

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking 27/1/2011, 04:52

I'm currently using SRWare Iron 8.0.555.1, often sandboxed

Viking

Back to top Go down

Post by exesi 1/2/2011, 03:10

Been using Firefox with NoScript, WOT and AdBlock.
exesi
exesi

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 1/2/2013, 03:55

I have to say, Chrome is now my browser of choice for general surfing - it feels faster and more responsive than Firefox right now. Just have to make sure the built-in Flash player is disabled, as it's rather buggy.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter5 1/2/2013, 05:19

ssj100 wrote:I have to say, Chrome is now my browser of choice for general surfing - it feels faster and more responsive than Firefox right now. Just have to make sure the built-in Flash player is disabled, as it's rather buggy.

Chrome is definitely the safest browser (without extensions, like noscript), specially for newbies because it also sandboxes flash and pdf if i am not mistaken. The sandbox is very strong.

I am using opera for almost 2 years, because at least in my computer it is the fastest browser, very customizable (GUI), and no need for extra code (extensions), so much is offered by the browser it self (mouse gestures, tab stacking, content blocker, email client, sessions, etc

Besides i use a whitelist for JavaScript and plug-ins only on demand, in Linux Ubuntu with apparmor Very Happy
I might even try Qubes in the near future. Now that is security Very Happy Smile Cool

Peter5
Peter5

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 1/2/2013, 06:37

Peter5 wrote:Chrome is definitely the safest browser (without extensions, like noscript), specially for newbies because it also sandboxes flash and pdf if i am not mistaken. The sandbox is very strong.

I am using opera for almost 2 years, because at least in my computer it is the fastest browser, very customizable (GUI), and no need for extra code (extensions), so much is offered by the browser it self (mouse gestures, tab stacking, content blocker, email client, sessions, etc

Besides i use a whitelist for JavaScript and plug-ins only on demand, in Linux Ubuntu with apparmor Very Happy
I might even try Qubes in the near future. Now that is security Very Happy Smile Cool

I'm personally not using Chrome for its security features. In fact, as stated above, I've disabled its pepper flash player (or whatever it's called) because it's buggy - for example, playing a 1080p video on YouTube in full screen will cause slightly laggy playback because the cpu usage spikes to a constant 100%. Disabling Chrome's flash player (and therefore using Adobe's) fixes this.

Opera and Firefox used to run at about the same "speed" on my system, but right now, I think Opera is slightly faster. However, Chrome is faster still on my system. The only extension I use in Chrome is Adblock, and that's mainly just for convenience purposes - for example, I don't need to close an (annoying) ad when watching streaming (live) videos.

Regarding security (in general), it's all become a bit boring for me. In the last year or so, I feel like I'm using Sandboxie for the sole purpose of keeping my system cleaner (ie, less cluttered), rather than for security. If you think about it, we want to avoid malware for pretty much only two reasons - identity/resource theft and system degradation (which both lead to inconvenience and "wasted" time). The crazy thing is that people are degrading their systems all the time by eg. installing multiple security programs. They may as well be installing malware! With regard to identity/resource theft, we are all at risk of this in pretty much every aspect of our lives, not just with computers. The more eg. social networks you join and the more true information you give out or list, the higher the chance will be of you becoming a victim of identity/resource theft. I don't think installing software or using an apparently "more secure" OS is going to save you from a determined "thief".

What I feel is that the vast majority of people writing security blogs out there are simply doing it to gain respect and to feel important haha. What I've learned over the years is that using a computer should be similar to eg. driving to work - the "car" (computer) gets the job done daily by delivering you from "one place to another" (computer actions). You put on your safety belt (computer security mechanisms) each time you drive the "car" and every so often get your car WOF updated, pay insurance, and put petrol in it (general computer maintenance, back-up, patches etc). There are always risks driving a car, but you don't even realise you're wearing a safety belt, nor the fact your car tires just prevented you from skidding dangerously off the road. And you certainly don't spend half your life (referring to security bloggers out there, including myself haha) thinking about how you could "secure" your car better and all the risks there are out there (eg. getting mugged at the traffic light).
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter5 1/2/2013, 09:49

yes, people get a "little" paranoid about security.
It is anti-executables, sandboxes, anti-virus, protection for keyloggers, etc.

And in the end they do not enjoy the car and the ride haha.

That is why i use Opera and not chrome, i put usability first, regarding this matter, but of course i try to compensate in some other way (plug in only on demand, etc.)

i have come to realize how important usability is since i switch to ubuntu. It would be very hard to stop using the dash and the HUD, basically the unity shell (Ubuntu's default desktop interface)
Basically i am waiting to see if unity is ported to qubes. Then i could have the best security and the best usability. No trade off

I understand when you say you are a little bored with security . I like it and think it is very important to me since i do everything on line (home-banking, taxes, shopping,etc.), but i have reached a point where i am comfortable with what i know. I do not have the hunger for more information, more testing, etc.I just want to use my computer.

And in the end an operating system like Qubes will be able to protect you from basically every drive by download out there, but not from social engineering, or some other stupid mistake.
Peter5
Peter5

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 1/2/2013, 10:56

Peter5 wrote:I understand when you say you are a little bored with security . I like it and think it is very important to me since i do everything on line (home-banking, taxes, shopping,etc.), but i have reached a point where i am comfortable with what i know. I do not have the hunger for more information, more testing, etc.I just want to use my computer.
Exactly how I've been feeling for the past year or so.
Peter5 wrote:And in the end an operating system like Qubes will be able to protect you from basically every drive by download out there, but not from social engineering, or some other stupid mistake.
Maybe you can start a new thread/topic about Qubes - I'm interested to know more.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter5 2/2/2013, 05:37

ssj100 wrote:
Maybe you can start a new thread/topic about Qubes - I'm interested to know more.

I will do that, but just remember that i have not used it may self. Only read about it. It is very demanding in terms of hardware (compatibility and hardware it self).

Edit: Qubes OS
Peter5
Peter5

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter5 15/2/2013, 07:07

Opera will stop using Presto engine for Webkit

To provide a leading browser on Android and iOS, this year Opera will make a gradual transition to the WebKit engine, as well as Chromium, for most of its upcoming versions of browsers for smartphones and computers.

There goes security by obscurity Mad Evil or Very Mad
Rendering engine from Presto to Webkit and JavaScript engine from Carakan to V8.

On the bright side they will be able to free resources to improve Opera (more innovation, improving what the browser already offers, etc.). They were wasting a lot of resources in site compatibility.

Besides Opera will contribute to the Webkit and Chromium projects (they already submitted their first set of patches)

Let us wait and see.
Peter5
Peter5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next