ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 7 and SUA

3 posters

Go down

Windows 7 and SUA Empty Windows 7 and SUA

Post by Ruhe 17/4/2010, 00:59

ssj100, you as LUA expert, can you give me an explanation?

As I've told in the Sandboxie forum, I'm using Dropbox. The software will be installed in c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox. There is no way to change the path during installation.

So far I'm running admin. After changing my account to a standard user account (this way), logging out and in again, Dropbox seems to think I'm a different user (?) now and starts the initial process to enter my username and password, like it does after a fresh installation of Dropbox.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 and SUA Empty Re: Windows 7 and SUA

Post by ssj100 17/4/2010, 02:24

I'm not an expert haha, but I can try to help.

So you're saying that you stripped your admin account to a Standard account (Method 2)? If so, that's not how I would do it. Method 1 is far superior and safer. I'm not totally sure about Windows 7, but Method 2 in Windows XP would result in some files/folders having admin rights...which defeats the purpose of running as a limited user.

I'm not sure why Dropbox would think you are a different user, since you're effectively using the same account, except that it's been (apparently) stripped down to a limited account. However, as mentioned above, stripping an admin account to a limited account can be messy.

I know that if you used Method 1, Dropbox would of course start the initial process of entering your username etc, since you would be on a different account.

For me, I only use my admin account for exactly that - admin stuff. For example, installing windows updates, updating applications, and installing new programs (fairly rare now, since I've got all the applications I want/need). I don't really do anything else in my admin account, and often don't start using the newly installed program until I get into my limited account. My limited account is used for everything else - gaming, surfing the internet, dowloading, chatting to people, messing around in VM, watching videos, listening to music etc.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't explain more about your issue.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 17/4/2010, 02:31

The next time I reinstall a fresh OS a will give method 1 a chance, but for the moment I will not reinstall the OS just to give method 1 a try Wink Therefore I can just do it the 2nd way right now.

Thanks anyway.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 17/4/2010, 21:33

Here is a note about Dropbox and Vista/7 and SUA.

So far it seems to work...
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 25/6/2010, 15:52

After making a fresh image of both system partitions I'll reinstall Windows 7 this evening and after installation of all online updates - but nothing else - immediately create a SUA (howto, method 1: new OS installation) to work with.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wat0114 25/6/2010, 16:14

Ruhe, fwiw, I like method 1 and believe it has by far the best chance of working for drop box. I would never demote an already admin account to a user account.

wat0114
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 25/6/2010, 16:19

wat0114 wrote:I would never demote an already admin account to a user account.
Yes, something I've noticed, it's not a good idea Smile See my posting:
Ruhe wrote:SUA on Vista/7: switch to a SUA account immediately after re-installing the OS, before installing other software! Due to different problems it's better not to switch if your system is running for while already. Thats the reason why I currently don't work in a SUA.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down