ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wondershare Time Freeze [Free offer is time limited]

4 posters

Go down

Wondershare Time Freeze [Free offer is time limited] Empty Wondershare Time Freeze [Free offer is time limited]

Post by Singlemature 4/5/2010, 20:42

I found this rollback software from another website,and i checked its official site.

Easy switch between virtual environment and actual system: With Wondershare Time Freeze, you don't need to reboot computer to go back to the actual system. Just exit the system protection mode, you can return to the actual system, and all data of the virtual system will be saved to the actual system.

This feature is just awesome,but i don't know how the Time Freeze perform on other accepts ,maybe you guys could make a test on it.

Singlemature
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Wondershare Time Freeze [Free offer is time limited] Empty Re: Wondershare Time Freeze [Free offer is time limited]

Post by ssj100 5/5/2010, 00:43

Looks interesting. Will give it a whirl some time. How do you find it compared to Shadow Defender or Returnil? Any advantages/disadvantages?

By the way, I see it only works on 32-bit systems?
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Wondershare Time Freeze [Free offer is time limited] Empty Re: Wondershare Time Freeze [Free offer is time limited]

Post by Guest 5/5/2010, 05:12

Wow!! They are deadly fast sending the key-code!!

I entered my info, and submitted,and instantly a dialog opened,saying:
"Code is sent to your mailbox already!!"

I thank I will mess with this for awhile.
Since this after all,is my favorite software type.

Thanks,Singlemature!!

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 5/5/2010, 11:18

My initial impression is that this program is very similar to Shadow Defender.

Here are the key functions:
1. Puts your system into a "Protected Mode", which is the equivalent of "Shadow Mode" (in Shadow Defender).

2. While in "Protected Mode", reboot restores your original system, undoing all changes.

3. While in "Protected Mode", you can commit all changes by switching off protection. By doing this, you go back to using your REAL system with the changes (made in "Protected Mode") applied to the REAL system. You don't need to do a reboot for this.

4. There is a "Folder Protection" function. You can activate this function at any time, and it basically acts as a form of resource access protection, very much like Sandboxie's function here:
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ResourceAccessSettings
And just like Sandboxie, you can set your folder to have either Read Only access, or completely deny access to relevant folders of your choice.

Here are some further observations:
1. Wondershare Time Freeze appears to be free for life (if you get your activation code now). That's always a good thing!

2. It takes about 10 seconds to go out of "Protected Mode" (and thus commit everything on to your REAL system) and back to using your REAL system. Interestingly, when I moved over 1.5Gb of data on to the system while in "Protected Mode", and then switched off protection (meaning I committed everything on to the REAL system) it still only took about 10 seconds.
This is probably advantageous to the "Commit" function in Shadow Defender, as I have read it takes a long time to "Commit" larger amounts of data. And with Shadow Defender, you need to reboot your computer in order to use your REAL system when in "Shadow Mode". With Wondershare Time Freeze, you don't need to do this...however, you are basically forced to commit every change to your REAL system if you want to switch - this could be a problem, as it means that any malware would be committed to the REAL system too. You would have to be sure that you didn't do anything dodgy during that session before switching off protection. With Shadow Defender, only the files and folders you have specifically selected are committed to the REAL system, reducing the chance of retaining malware while committing data.

3. Wondershare Time Freeze appears to have a good updating system, although I'm unable to test it just yet (since there are no newer versions). However, it would appear that you don't need to re-install it when upgrading to new versions, and you can update it internally.

4. Just like most light virtualisation programs, it seems to run very light with no noticeable slow-downs. I must admit that I have tested this in my VM only, so I can't really comment on whether there is a slow-down (like with Shadow Defender) when booting into "Protected Mode". I would guess, like with all light virtualisation programs, that there would be. I would also guess that switching on "Protected Mode" would also take a few seconds more on larger hard drives and slower processors.

5. Wondershare Time Freeze only appears to use one process at all times (Shadow Defender can run up to 2 processes - one for the GUI, and one for the primary engine).

6. Wondershare Time Freeze's single process seems to take up about the same amount of RAM as Shadow Defender's 2 processes combined - around about 8Mb of RAM on my system. Of course, you're not always opening the Shadow Defender GUI, and therefore Shadow Defender utilises less RAM overall. But regardless, the RAM usage for both programs is negligible, since most people have at least 1Gb of RAM these days.

7. Wondershare Time Freeze appears to be arguably better than Shadow Defender when wanting to use as an "on-demand" utility only - no processes are run unless you open Wondershare Time Freeze, and once it's closed (via the GUI), the process is shut down. The same can't be said about Shadow Defender - even after closing the GUI, DefenderDaemon.exe process still runs (since Shadow Defender seems to divide the GUI process from the main program process).

8. You can only virtualise your primary hard drive (which suits me fine). With Shadow Defender, you can virtualise more than one drive at a time - something I never use, but I'm sure others would find it useful.

Anyway, those are my initial impressions and observations.

Conclusions:
1. I am generally very impressed with Wondershare Time Freeze. It seems to run smoothly and is not bloated in any way (it's installer file size is only just over 2Mb, which is admittedly twice the size of Shadow Defender's haha).
2. The "Folder Protection" feature is potentially very useful.
3. I only activate Shadow Defender when performing high risk activities on my system, or when I don't want other people to (accidentally) mess up my system when they use my computer. This means that Wondershare Time Freeze would be an excellent alternative for me...and it seems to be completely free for life...although that will need confirmation.
4. For those who like to only commit specific changes to their REAL system, Shadow Defender would be the better option. For people like me, I don't have any need for this.
5. I am very tempted to see how this performs on my REAL system.
6. There is no 64-bit version, which personally doesn't worry me, since I won't be using 64-bit for a few years yet.
7. I'm not sure what support is like, and I'm also not sure how active development is for this piece of software.

What are your thoughts noor? Thanks.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/5/2010, 11:42

To be honest ssj100,I have some problems with:

"you are basically forced to commit every change to your REAL system if you want to switch - this could be a problem, as it means that any malware would be committed to the REAL system too. ".

Maybe I am overlooking a simple angle to avoid this,but I do not like it,as I understand it.

As good as the rest is,this is a deal breaker for me,the inverse of what I seek in virtualization.

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 5/5/2010, 12:37

Yes, confirmed that it works fine in LUA with the help of SuRun! I'm very tempted to test it on my REAL system now. Might make an image snapshot right now and then go for it haha.

By the way, I'll test that "forum bug" (in the Shadow Defender thread) issue with Wondershare Time Freeze. Will be interesting to see if it passes where Shadow Defender and Returnil failed:
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/shadow-defender-f3/strange-behaviour-on-certain-forums-t3.htm
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 5/5/2010, 13:18

For anyone who's interested, check this out:

Shadow Defender installation behaviour:
http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=37945ddb4f44e8d405b2ac4199710044

Wondershare Time Freeze installation behaviour:
http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=4a3fdba99fd16a132180816760e3099d

Shadow Defender seems to create more registry entries, but fewer files. They both appear to be Chinese products! Not surprising, considering some of the grammar I've seen.

Also, one annoying thing I've noticed is that the password in Time Freeze is required to be 6 characters - no more, no less!
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawkwind 5/5/2010, 16:41

Thanks ssj100, a good review, informative and unbiased.
I fact you answered all questions that i had to ask about time freeze.
I will be sticking with Shadowdefender though as Time Freeze offers nothing extra that i would need at the moment.
From the video on Wondershares web site it looks very easy to use and very fast from your description.
Some people will love the fact that you can commit all changes without a reboot.

The only really negative thing for me is that you can only protect the C:Drive, but for a new product on the market it looks like an excellent program.

Thanks for pointing this out Singlemature Smile i have my license tucked away should i need it in the future.
There is some fantastic software coming out of China at the moment.
Hawkwind
Hawkwind

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 6/5/2010, 00:19

Thanks Hawkwind. Yes, despite some potential (for me, ultimately very minor) advantages, I'm sticking with Shadow Defender too.

But I'll be keeping an eye on Wondershare Time Freeze for sure.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 9/7/2010, 01:55

Wondershare Time Freeze Free is an easy and effective virtual system freeware to keep your computer safe from viruses, spyware, Trojans and other malicious threats. It puts the actual system under protection and creates a virtual environment for system partition, on which you run applications and surf the internet. All traces and malicious threats will disappear after reboot. You can also save changes to the actual system.

http://www.disk-utilities.com/time-freeze-free/
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/7/2010, 04:37

Thanks, I picked up the Wondershare Time Freeze offer, I will be using Shadow Defender for the moment but unfortunately when I tried to install Shadow Defender 1.1.0.323 (Windows 2000) it wouldn't work and I have not been able to install any Shadow Defender other than 1.1.0.278 from then on (previously had tried later and all versions without problem installation wise). Sad but no tray icon and shortcuts not bringing up gui or anything...just a couple of grunts from the pc. This was weird because I've been using Shadow Defender from the beginning and installed/uninstalled loads of versions without problems. I've been involved quite a bit with it and I suggested changing some text in the prog (which Tony did) It originally said "Shadow Defender "The way to a safe world" I asked him to change it to "The way to a safer world" and helped with some English grammatical errors within the prog (my claim to fame Wink ). In fact Tony did an after release change of 1.1.0.325 because of a bug that I found immediately after release (As I remember it was the same day). I'm disappointed that it is not as stable for me as I'd hoped. That is not saying that it necessarily Shadow Defender's fault ...could be my own setup.
1.1.0.278 was always good. Anyway I was getting fed up with missing software settings on re-boot with other versions of Shadow Defender, I'm going to run this one for a while (which I did at an earlier stage anyway) and see how it goes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down