ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep Freeze vs Clean Slate vs Smart Shield

3 posters

Go down

Deep Freeze vs Clean Slate vs Smart Shield Empty Deep Freeze vs Clean Slate vs Smart Shield

Post by yeahyeahnah 7/3/2011, 09:34

Hi,

We are currently evaluating a number of products for use on a large number of Windows XP machines. The purpose of installing the product is twofold:

1. The machines are regularly closed via a “hard reset” (i.e. Power down). It is understood that this is not the preferred method of shutting down the machine, however the environment in which they are used means that this can’t be controlled and a hard power down is common. Disk errors are being seen with machines due to this method of shutdown which often results in the machine needing to be re-imaged. This is the primary issue that needs solving.

2. Provide a constant environment for all users. There will be a constant stream of different users of each machine, so the machine is to be reset back to a known state between each login.

We are running a suite of evaluation tests, but I am also interested in experiences from people who have already been using any of these products – particularly Smart Shield and Clean Slate (as there is quite a bit of feedback re Deep Freeze available on the web already). Any pros / cons / “gotchyas” would be greatly appreciated!!

I appreciate there are quite a number of other products out there that offer similar functionality to the listed 3 products, however these products have already been shortlisted for evaluation and we are limited to three.

Also, I appreciate this is primarily a security forum, but from searching past threads this seems one of the most likely places to find someone who has used (hopefully recent) versions of these products.

Thanks in advance!!

yeahyeahnah

Back to top Go down

Deep Freeze vs Clean Slate vs Smart Shield Empty Re: Deep Freeze vs Clean Slate vs Smart Shield

Post by ssj100 7/3/2011, 09:41

I've never tested Smart Shield. Do you have a link for it? I've not had much experience with Deep Freeze, but I hear it's pretty good at what it does (although it has been bypassed by certain rootkits in recent times). With regards to Clean Slate, might be worth reading through this thread:
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/t144-has-anyone-tried-clean-slate
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Deep Freeze vs Clean Slate vs Smart Shield Empty Re: Deep Freeze vs Clean Slate vs Smart Shield

Post by yeahyeahnah 7/3/2011, 10:11

That was quick Smile

The link for Smart Shield is:
http://www.centuriontech.com/public_sector/
[you need to use the "free evaluation" link to contact them to get an eval licence + link to download]

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I have read this one and was impressed by the review. The area i was most interested in that wasn't specifically covered was whether it will be effective against errors due to hard resets. I've read a few forums where Deep Freeze has been used effectively in this scenario, but haven't read results of other products being used specifically for this reason.

We're probably leaning more towards Clean Slate in that it doesn't require a reboot to "reset" and the machines we're working with need to be up as close to 24x7 as possible. However as mentioned above, the main priority needs to be reducing the number of errors we're seeing due to the hard shutdown ...

yeahyeahnah

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahyeahnah 12/3/2011, 17:12

Hi,

I thought you might be interested to see the responses from tech support:

CleanSlate

Clean Slate works at the file system level and doesn't allow the original files and/or Registry keys to be modified in the first place. Therefore, if a user powers off the computer by pulling the plug or there is a power outage and a process or service is in the middle of writing out a file, any disk errors that might occur happen to a copy of the file that will be discarded anyway. If the system runs a chkdsk when it is powered on and fixes any disk errors that may have happened it is only fixing files that will be deleted from the Clean Slate cache.

Smart Shield

Our protection is deeply integrated within the Windows kernel. The protection is either on or off with a very minor exception. The exception is the Directory Exclusion functionality. This allows single directories to be excluded from protection. While this is a great way to allow files to stick when a computer is protected, there are times when it won’t help. If a program needs to update the registry (and many do when they update), then our Directory Exclusion isn’t flexible enough to update when protected. Directory Exclusion is designed this way to provide maximum protection to your computer with some added flexibility.

Thanks again.

yeahyeahnah

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster_BSA 18/4/2011, 03:00

Don´t miss taking a look to the rollback software test I did some time ago:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276210
Buster_BSA
Buster_BSA

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahyeahnah 26/4/2011, 12:28

thanks for the link!

yeahyeahnah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down