ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadowdefender/Sandboxie any conflicts?

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shadowdefender/Sandboxie any conflicts? Empty Shadowdefender/Sandboxie any conflicts?

Post by Hawkwind 3/7/2010, 17:22

I know you do not use SD any more ssj100, but was/are there any known conflicts between the two?
I think it was version 1.1.0.322 where a conflict was fixed.
This just could make my system complete running in shadowmode permanently, only coming out occasionally to update windows and software.

Providing Tony is still around of course No
Hawkwind
Hawkwind

Back to top Go down

Shadowdefender/Sandboxie any conflicts? Empty Re: Shadowdefender/Sandboxie any conflicts?

Post by ssj100 3/7/2010, 17:27

Yes, the conflict I described was fixed (in version 1.1.0.322 I think). Other than that, I know of no other conflicts directly related to Sandboxie.

However, since I had Sandboxie installed on the system every time I used Shadow Defender, it could be possible that this was the reason for noticing the discrepancies described here:
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/shadow-defender-f3/shadow-defender-bypassed-by-tdl-rootkits-t147.htm#896
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/shadow-defender-f3/shadow-defender-bypassed-by-tdl-rootkits-t147.htm#902
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Shadowdefender/Sandboxie any conflicts? Empty Re: Shadowdefender/Sandboxie any conflicts?

Post by Hawkwind 3/7/2010, 22:23

Thanks Smile
I will stay in Shadowmode for the time being unless i notice anything unusual.
I dont change things very often as i am happy with my software set up, so i am happy to be in Shadowmode for most of the time, i only used to come out of it once a week when i ran an AV so i may only want to come out of Shadowmode on a monthly basis now.

Very pleased with my set up, so much snappier.
I am sure my hard drive will appreciate less workload as well.
Hawkwind
Hawkwind

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 4/7/2010, 06:49

ssj100 wrote:Yes, the conflict I described was fixed (in version 1.1.0.322 I think). Other than that, I know of no other conflicts directly related to Sandboxie.

However, since I had Sandboxie installed on the system every time I used Shadow Defender, it could be possible that this was the reason for noticing the discrepancies described here:
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/shadow-defender-f3/shadow-defender-bypassed-by-tdl-rootkits-t147.htm#896
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/shadow-defender-f3/shadow-defender-bypassed-by-tdl-rootkits-t147.htm#902

Exact same experiences and conditions.
I say no conflicts I know of,but maybe.

noori
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawkwind 4/7/2010, 22:10

What does everyone consider the best version of Shadowdefender.
I am currently using version 1.1.0.326 but as this was a beta release then i think i should change considering Tonys absense.
Hawkwind
Hawkwind

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/7/2010, 22:44

Hi Hawkwind,
I was using 1.1.0.326 and it seemed ok at first but then had some glitches (lost update connection settings on reboot from Shadow Mode in Avast and Malwarebytes virus checker and other things etc) I experienced similar in 1.1.0.325
I've reverted to version 1.1.0.322 because some other users mentioned that as a glitchless version.
I know that some of the earlier versions had clashed with Sandboxie but Tony fixed that.
Some users said that 1.1.0.278 was very stable.

Hawkwind wrote:What does everyone consider the best version of Shadowdefender.
I am currently using version 1.1.0.326 but as this was a beta release then i think i should change considering Tonys absense.

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 5/7/2010, 01:27

1.1.0.278 was the version II began with,and it was very nice.
I stopped at 1.1.0.323,because it corrected one if the issues ssj100 and myself reported on the ShadowDefenderForum. (I don't remember which one.)

It has been trouble free.

I thank a lot of the latter updates were tailored more for the new OS's,and I will probably stay where I am.

noor
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 03:12

I think I'll move over to 1.1.0.323 on your recommendation
I don't stay in Shadow Mode all the time but I use it regularly so will see if it is glitch free for me.
I use it "on demand" because I found that it struggled a bit to "get back into the swing of things" after re-boot when I was running it for a few days and doing lots of downloading and software installations etc, but having said that I run a quite old low powered system Windows 2000, 900 cpu, 512 ram, 120 gb drive.
I think you are right about the later versions being geared towards the new operating systems.
I've pretty happy with Shadow Defender as it is and 3.23 may be the one for me. Smile

noorismail wrote:1.1.0.278 was the version II began with,and it was very nice.
I stopped at 1.1.0.323,because it corrected one if the issues ssj100 and myself reported on the ShadowDefenderForum. (I don't remember which one.)

It has been trouble free.

I thank a lot of the latter updates were tailored more for the new OS's,and I will probably stay where I am.

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 5/7/2010, 04:05

For me it feels the same as 1.1.0.278,plus it corrected the bugs I found in the versions between.

I did notice that the versions from 1.1.0.323, that I did try briefly,seemed to use a little bit more RAM.

Not much,but I have only 1g myself so it is a concern.

If I am not mistaken,I thank 1.1.0.323,corrected a bug that caused the duplication of folders,when a folder already on the real system was modified and renamed ,and then committed from within a ShadowMode session.

noor
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 06:39

Hi noorismail
I've got a problem with 323

I uninstalled my previous version 3.22
Then installed 3.23 but tray icon did not appear and when I double clicked on any of the other shortcuts Shadow Defender would not open to the registration box or the main gui
I tried an uninstall and re-install a couple of times but nothing...so....then I decided to revert back to previous version using the same process as above.
Now Shadow Defender of any version will not install on my system.
I looked in taskmanager and it is not there.
Has anyone any ideas what is happening?

noorismail wrote: For me it feels the same as 1.1.0.278,plus it corrected the bugs I found in the versions between.

I did notice that the versions from 1.1.0.323, that I did try briefly,seemed to use a little bit more RAM.

Not much,but I have only 1g myself so it is a concern.

If I am not mistaken,I thank 1.1.0.323,corrected a bug that caused the duplication of folders,when a folder already on the real system was modified and renamed ,and then committed from within a ShadowMode session.

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 5/7/2010, 06:46

Patrick,I thank I would do a complete regedit search for any ShadowDefender entries,including legacy,reboot,and try once more with the version you want to go with.

Man,sorry it went like that for you.

noor
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 06:51

These things happen Smile I'll try what you suggest first then report back Smile
noorismail wrote:Patrick,I thank I would do a complete regedit search for any ShadowDefender entries,including legacy,reboot,and try once more with the version you want to go with.

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 08:32

I've had a bit of a look and I can't see anything that jumps out at me.
I've tried most versions now and no luck.
When I install (clean or over) I get the desktop icon, quickstart icon,startmenu shortcuts but no tray icon (in any version) and nothing in taskmanager. Is the driver not installing, Why? Is something blocking the driver? and no registration box comes up. Doubleclicking on the buttons does nothing. I've installed on this pc loads of times and not had this.

noorismail wrote:Patrick,I thank I would do a complete regedit search for any ShadowDefender entries,including legacy,reboot,and try once more with the version you want to go with.

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 5/7/2010, 09:41

Patrick,winPatrol plus does not block instals does it?
Or block the registry?

When you tried to reinstal ShadowDefender 1.1.0.322,did you use the same exe,you used when
you installed it the first time?

Something that concerns me,is the registration box,or lack of it.

I wonder if something could be blocking the sale or registration of ShadowDefender from the outside?

I know that sounds pretty wild,but the whole thing with Tony is pretty strange itself.

I was wondering if you had had heard anything about anyone trying to buy ShadowDefender recently?
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 09:53

I've not noticed any "action" in connections out in etc, I will uninstall winpatrol and try again. Tony did not indicate in any way about a sale, though that is a possibility because of it's success and he being only one person working on it that maybe he could not bring it to "fruition" but a team in a larger outfit maybe could.

noorismail wrote:Patrick,winPatrol plus does not block instals does it?
Or block the registry?

When you tried to reinstal ShadowDefender 1.1.0.322,did you use the same exe,you used when
you installed it the first time?

Something that concerns me,is the registration box,or lack of it.

I wonder if something could be blocking the sale or registration of ShadowDefender from the outside?

I know that sounds pretty wild,but the whole thing with Tony is pretty strange itself.

I was wondering if you had had heard anything about anyone trying to buy ShadowDefender recently?

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 5/7/2010, 10:15

Sorry,Patrick I was not very clear,I mean have you heard of any individual trying buy a license for ShadowDefender in the recent past?

I wonder if some way the registration process could be blocked by intent.
by the ShadowDefender Site?

However, the 30 day trail should kick in,and this would not account for the missing process or icon.
Plus someone finding him/herself unable to install or register would probably post to the ShadowDefender Forums.

I am on the wrong tree I guess.
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 10:57

No I haven't heard of a recent purchase...I was looking out for that on the Shadow Defender forum when I didn't hear from Tony for a while, thinking it would have come up on the board if anyone had problems etc maybe after a new install and not being able to reach Tony. I haven't heard anything about Shadow Defender having a block device or check reg connection. Maybe the install has a time out of some kind... you know, if you do not install the software within so long the install dies...it doesn't seem like that though, quite but i'm only getting a buttons with no guts at the moment.
I uninstalled winpatrol but it didn't make a difference.
It's installing almost as normal but no "engine"
I'll have a look again at the registry in the morning
Can you remember what any of it's "core" files were?
I don't mean defenderdaemon I mean the driver. Smile

noorismail wrote:Sorry,Patrick I was not very clear,I mean have you heard of any individual trying buy a license for ShadowDefender in the recent past?

I wonder if some way the registration process could be blocked by intent.
by the ShadowDefender Site?

However, the 30 day trail should kick in,and this would not account for the missing process or icon.
Plus someone finding him/herself unable to install or register would probably post to the ShadowDefender Forums.

I am on the wrong tree I guess.

Last edited by patrick on 6/7/2010, 01:28; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 5/7/2010, 11:07

No,and I looked in System32/drivers just on the chance it might be clearly recognizable, by name,and even though it is obviously here,I cant find anything with a closely matched name..nothing stands out.

I can give you the names of the files in ShadowDefender folder C:/Programs,
there are not very many.

noor
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 5/7/2010, 11:30

Patrick,
post's #88 & #93,here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183436&page=4

mentions a "filter driver, diskpt.sys" and it is c/windows/system32/drivers on my system.

noor
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawkwind 5/7/2010, 16:52

Sorry to hear you are having problems Patrick Sad

One thing interesting i have just found out.
In this FD-ISR snapshot (Primary) i had my c drive in permanent shadowmode, i also had my D drive in permanent shadowmode.
I booted into another snapshot (back up) that has never had Shadowdefender installed.
I then copy/updated my primary snapshot with my Back up.

I then booted back into my primary then i installed Shadowdefender 1.1.0.323, rebooted, and my D drive was back in permanent shadowmode?
Hawkwind
Hawkwind

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 17:05

Hi Hawkwind,
Can you get D:\ out of Shadowmode though, if you choose?
Hawkwind wrote:Sorry to hear you are having problems Patrick Sad

One thing interesting i have just found out.
In this FD-ISR snapshot (Primary) i had my c drive in permanent shadowmode, i also had my D drive in permanent shadowmode.
I booted into another snapshot (back up) that has never had Shadowdefender installed.
I then copy/updated my primary snapshot with my Back up.

I then booted back into my primary then i installed Shadowdefender 1.1.0.323, rebooted, and my D drive was back in permanent shadowmode?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 17:42

It's funny noorismail, I was looking on the Shadow Defender forum after my last post to you and I had mentioned the file diskpt.sys to a member Smile It's funny how easily we can forget stuff at times. Smile
I do find a copy of diskpt.sys on my system in C:\Documents and Settings\me\Local Settings\Temp\7zS1.tmp
I think I'll make a copy of this file then delete the folder. I have not got Shadow Defender installed just now but in a few minutes will try to re-install it

Shadowdefender/Sandboxie any conflicts? Shadow10

noorismail wrote:Patrick,
post's #88 & #93,here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183436&page=4

mentions a "filter driver, diskpt.sys" and it is c/windows/system32/drivers on my system.

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 5/7/2010, 22:09

Hope things are now on the right track.

These programs do dig themselves deep into the OS,and like a
lot of software,they are not keen on cleaning up the mess,when
they are moved out..

noor
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/7/2010, 03:03

No joy yet, very strange Shocked

noorismail wrote:Hope things are now on the right track.

they are moved out..

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/7/2010, 05:09

I've managed to get Shadow Defender 1.1.0.278 on again and it's as nice as pie but other versions will not run...yes they install but no tray icon and shortcuts don't open anything.
1.1.0.278 was good and stable as I remember so I think I'll stay with it...but it's a real puzzle all the same.
If anyone has any ideas about what is happening I'd be happy to know.

note When I got 1.1.0.278 to install I tried an "install over" with different version but no go, icon gone etc after reboot.

noorismail wrote:Hope things are now on the right track.

they are moved out..

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next