ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIREWALL TESTING ONLY!

3 posters

Go down

FIREWALL TESTING ONLY! Empty FIREWALL TESTING ONLY!

Post by wingman 20/6/2010, 06:24

I guess most people here rely on routers and OS firewalls, not on software?
I feel that a excellent software FW is a good layer of protection behind a router, for outbound and inbound, and content control, this is my opinion. Really don't like HIPS too much, reason being if it can't come through the front door in the first place, why have a program that intrudes with normal activity?
I don't give mousetec any credit, mousetec is not a firewall tester, just bloat ware tester.
Beginning to feel that most of the top FW companies are running with a skeleton crew in these hard times, and are only are worried about MT result's. I want FIREWALL TESTING ONLY! (sorry for shouting).
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

FIREWALL TESTING ONLY! Empty Re: FIREWALL TESTING ONLY!

Post by ssj100 20/6/2010, 08:44

wingman wrote:...reason being if it can't come through the front door in the first place, why have a program that intrudes with normal activity?

Hey mate, read your statement above. That's exactly the reason why I don't believe I require a firewall with outbound control. Windows Firewall and a NAT Router are enough. That's just my opinion as well though.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 20/6/2010, 11:57

If you would like to run a pure and non bloatware firewall, I know only one, Look 'n' Stop.

The vendor said "Look 'n' Stop Firewall is a pure firewall, which filters at TDI & NDIS levels. Look 'n' Stop is not an HIPS application and therefore is not designed to block most of the leaktests onsidered by the "Proactive Security Challenge" project from Matousec."

There is one disadvantage of the Windows internal firewall: installed programs can create firewall rules without asking the user. Install the Nokia Suite and you know what I mean, several in- and outbound rules. This does not, or at least much less, work by using an external firewall.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down