ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imageing/backup

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Imageing/backup - Page 2 Empty Re: Imageing/backup

Post by Guest 20/6/2010, 14:08

I think you can make a BartPE cd with Drive Snapshot on it
mentioned on this page
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20936097-Macrium-Drive-Snapshot-DriveImageXML-Paragon

Ruhe wrote:How to restore Drive Snapshot images if you can't start Windows anymore?
Do you really go with the outdated and user unfriendly DOS boot process, the NTFS difficulty and with maybe missing support of drives accessed via AHCI?

Using Macrium or TrueImage you have or can create a state-of-the-art boot medium.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 21/6/2010, 02:42

I will try to build a boot medium with "Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7" (by Microsoft) and include Drive Snapshot.

If it works I will write a how-to and offer it for download.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 21/6/2010, 06:25

Ruhe wrote:I will try to build a boot medium with "Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7" (by Microsoft) and include Drive Snapshot.

If it works I will write a how-to and offer it for download.

Sounds good Ruhe.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 21/6/2010, 12:05

Damn, really forgot this: Windows 7 already includes a full backup image component, no need for Macrium, Acronis and so on.
It's called wbadmin, and there is a GUI - already included in Windows - for image creation too. The cool with it, you can even boot into this images later.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHD_%28file_format%29

An example to create an image in batch mode:
Code:
wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:E: -allCritical -vssCopy -quiet
Done.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 21/6/2010, 12:13

Wow thanks Ruhe. I knew Windows 7 included an image back-up component, but didn't realise it was as efficient as third party ones (eg. Drive SnapShot).

Anyway, good on you for promoting the "built-in" programs of the OS! I'm looking forward to using Windows 7 on my REAL system more and more.

If you get time, could you describe for us (maybe with some screenshots) the configurability and power of Windows 7's image back-up component? Cheers.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 21/6/2010, 12:47

Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 21/6/2010, 13:10

Thanks Ruhe. By the way, I think you might have missed my question earlier (as I edited it in):

ssj100 wrote:EDIT: by the way Ruhe, can you do image back-ups with Macrium Reflect while continuing work on the same system?

Also, can you do this with Windows 7's image back-up component? Furthermore, can Macrium Reflect or Windows 7's image back-up component load images (eg. from an external hard-drive) on to a partition that you are currently running Windows on?
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 21/6/2010, 14:52

You can create images with Drive Snapshot and wbadmin while working with the system. Both make use of VSS.

Macrium says
Disk image can be created whilst Windows is in use. A special driver ensures that the disk image represents an exact point in time and will not be affected by disk access that may occur during the backup process.

ssj100 wrote:Furthermore, can Macrium Reflect or Windows 7's image back-up component load images (eg. from an external hard-drive) on to a partition that you are currently running Windows on?
Don't know. I only restore images offline.
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 25/6/2010, 00:01

After this stupidity I had to restore an image created by wbadmin. Luck, I had one (unfortunately two days old). After booting with the Windows 7 rescue CD it was easy and without any problems to restore the hidden Windows partition + system partition. Later I had to re-do the things of the last two days I could remember (Windows & Total Commander & SBIE updates...).

Mad
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 25/6/2010, 02:36

Ruhe wrote:After this stupidity I had to restore an image created by wbadmin. Luck, I had one (unfortunately two days old). After booting with the Windows 7 rescue CD it was easy and without any problems to restore the hidden Windows partition + system partition. Later I had to re-do the things of the last two days I could remember (Windows & Total Commander & SBIE updates...).

Mad

What happened to creating images every day? And why don't you experiment with new applications in a VM?
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 25/6/2010, 02:37

ssj100 wrote:What happened to creating images every day?
Shut up! Laughing
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: