ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running Windows with No Services

3 posters

Go down

Running Windows with No Services Empty Running Windows with No Services

Post by jna90 4/5/2012, 21:32

I've been reading some (microsoft) Technet blogs, mostly from Mark Russinovich (sysinternals, process explorer and loads of other tools/articles).
But this article "Running windows with no services" seems very interesting.
However, what will be able to run, if there is almost no service running at all ?

Theoretically you could say there is less security risk because there is less to be attacked by malware/viruses.
Even winlogon.exe won't be running, so no viruses can attach to this. Side effect of no winlogon is you can't even logout or shutdown ! scratch
But thinking some more about it, what will be able to run.. av/anti-malware products ?

Anyway, seems interesting to test something like this in vmware or virtualbox.
If the vmware tools or virtualbox extensions can be installed or are able to start at all when windows has only Csrss.exe running ! affraid

The article I was reading is quite old (2005) already and chances are you've already read about it.
This is the link:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/07/24/running-windows-with-no-services.aspx

Cheers,
Jna90.

jna90

Back to top Go down

Running Windows with No Services Empty Re: Running Windows with No Services

Post by ssj100 5/5/2012, 03:15

Basically depends on what you want to use your computer for. For me, I've disabled services that I don't need. I do this mostly for performance, rather than security.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by D1G1T@L 4/6/2012, 09:28

I don't think you can run Windows with no services at all. It simply wouldn't usable - imagine using safe mode for your daily session for example. Security software wouldn't be able to boot then since they rely on services of some kind including firewalls.

D1G1T@L

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down