ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The other forum

5 posters

Go down

The other forum Empty The other forum

Post by wingman 20/6/2010, 07:05

I use to visit wilders everyday for some informative info, now it seems like watching a re-run of a tv show that has been seen many times. I hope this forum takes off in a new direction (from wilders), with more useful information and less moderator censor.
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

The other forum Empty Re: The other forum

Post by Little Lady 20/6/2010, 08:51

Welcome ~ hope you enjoy our freedom of speech here Very Happy
Little Lady
Little Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 20/6/2010, 09:21

Thanks for the welcome. I will try not to get out of line.
Everyone has been very helpful.
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe 20/6/2010, 12:03

...one year later and a growing number of members, I think we then have similar problems Neutral
Ruhe
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 20/6/2010, 13:02

Hopefully not Ruhe, since this forum will only attract the best kinds of people right haha.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wat0114 21/6/2010, 01:02

In fairness, moderation is necessary, otherwise things will get out of hand in a big hurry. It is tough for them to always handle certain wayward threads properly, although I do sometimes feel they react in knee-jerk fashion.

wat0114
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 2/7/2010, 06:17

I guess you heard about Online armor being bought or taken over by Emsisoft, Mike sold out.
Anyway he seemed like a nice guy, but at the other forum (wilders) you should see the sycophancy going on, like a bunch of little girls waving goodbye to mommy. Really sickening. Well that's my two-cent's. Another reason I hate that place, full of sheeples. Rolling Eyes
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 06:34

wingman wrote:I guess you heard about Online armor being bought or taken over by Emsisoft, Mike sold out.
Anyway he seemed like a nice guy, but at the other forum (wilders) you should see the sycophancy going on, like a bunch of little girls waving goodbye to mommy. Really sickening. Well that's my two-cent's. Another reason I hate that place, full of sheeples. Rolling Eyes

Haha, man I didn't know that Online Armor was sold out to Emsisoft. That's not surprising though. Online Armor is a piece of software that few people would buy or even use (including the free version). It was a question of when, not if.

It will be interesting to know how Emsisoft continues developing/supporting Online Armor. I wonder if the Online Armor programmers will be preserved etc? Thing is, I reckon the only reason Online Armor had a contract with Emsisoft in the first place was because they were losing competition (despite the haters at Wilders continuing to make Comodo appear bad) to Comodo. Fact is, Comodo now have an extremely solid security suite that pretty much matches Online Amor Premium (some could argue it's better...it now has a solid sandboxing mechanism which works very well when combined with Defense+). I would say 99%+ of people out there who are interested in a suite with a classical HIPS will swing to Comodo. I feel that those that swing to Online Armor are the minority - just look at the Comodo forums - there are over 100,000 registered members there (about the same number as Wilders...and Wilders hosts at least 4-5 paid security software).

Anyway, thanks for the news:
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/security-f7/online-armor-sold-to-emsisoft-t152.htm
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 2/7/2010, 07:15

ssj100 wrote:
wingman wrote:I guess you heard about Online armor being bought or taken over by Emsisoft, Mike sold out.

Haha, man I didn't know that Online Armor was sold out to Emsisoft. That's not surprising though. Online Armor is a piece of software that few people would buy or even use (including the free version). It was a question of when, not if.

It will be interesting to know how Emsisoft continues developing/supporting Online Armor. I wonder if the Online Armor programmers will be preserved etc? Thing is, I reckon the only reason Online Armor had a contract with Emsisoft in the first place was because they were losing competition (despite the haters at Wilders continuing to make Comodo appear bad) to Comodo. Fact is, Comodo now have an extremely solid security suite that pretty much matches Online Amor Premium (some could argue it's better...it now has a solid sandboxing mechanism which works very well when combined with Defense+). I would say 99%+ of people out there who are interested in a suite with a classical HIPS will swing to Comodo. I feel that those that swing to Online Armor are the minority - just look at the Comodo forums - there are over 100,000 registered members there (about the same number as Wilders...and Wilders hosts at least 4-5 paid security software).

Anyway, thanks for the news:
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/security-f7/online-armor-sold-to-emsisoft-t152.htm

Supposedly, the programmers are staying, working for the new boss. Will try to find the link again. Look's like Comodo is in heaven now.
Now I am on OSSS, like it much, version 1.5 release is out not as buggy as Outpost7, but both are slow as snails with new releases. I just don't like "free" security products, paranoid yes. Free is never really free.
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 07:24

wingman wrote:I just don't like "free" security products, paranoid yes. Free is never really free.

Does your paranoia apply to software like Winamp, CCleaner, chat messenger programs (eg. Pidgin, Windows Live, Miranda etc), ImgBurn, Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, VirtualBox, VLC Player, and probably thousands of other reputable software that millions use.

Fact is, Comodo doesn't get income from us. As far as I know, they get most of their income from selling security certificates to web-sites etc. I guess as a by-product, we (the consumers) get Comodo Firewall/Antivirus/Internet Security Suite for free. Can't complain about that.

If anything, in my opinion, there should be more trust with Comodo being free (we sort of know how they get their income). For many other freeware programs (like the ones I mentioned above), I have no idea how they get their income.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 2/7/2010, 07:38

ssj100 wrote:
wingman wrote:I just don't like "free" security products, paranoid yes. Free is never really free.

Does your paranoia apply to software like Winamp, CCleaner, chat messenger programs (eg. Pidgin, Windows Live, Miranda etc), ImgBurn, Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, VirtualBox, VLC Player, and probably thousands of other reputable software that millions use.

Fact is, Comodo doesn't get income from us. As far as I know, they get most of their income from selling security certificates to web-sites etc. I guess as a by-product, we (the consumers) get Comodo Firewall/Antivirus/Internet Security Suite for free. Can't complain about that.

Yes, except for CCleaner, VLC. Never, ever would I put Adobe Reader on my computer. That's a whole other topic. Besides, I'm talking about security programs such as Firewalls and AV's (don't use AV's). I am not bad mouthing Comodo, when all my paid for companies are run into the ground, Comodo will be there, hopefully. Thanks for the info about Comodo.
Here are a couple of interesting links about OA.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Softpedia-Exclusive-Interview-Emsisoft-Takes-Over-Online-Armor-145966.shtml

http://onlinearmorpersonalfirewall.blogspot.com/2010/06/online-armor-sold-to-emsisoft.html

wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 2/7/2010, 08:02

I am paranoid about the usage of the word "free", in all my life there was always a catch to the word "free", read the fine print I am told. I am to lazy to do that, it will put me to sleep faster than reading the side effects of Ambien. Sleep
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 08:32

Fair enough to have your opinion, although you're using freeware haha - CCleaner and VLC Player (don't quite understand why you're only particular about security freeware...shouldn't they be more trustworthy than random media players and registry/junk file cleaners?). By the way, how about Microsoft Security Essentials? That's an Antivirus which is completely free for life (although you could argue that you've already paid Microsoft by using a Windows OS).
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 2/7/2010, 08:56

ssj100 wrote:Fair enough to have your opinion, although you're using freeware haha - CCleaner and VLC Player (don't quite understand why you're only particular about security freeware...shouldn't they be more trustworthy than random media players and registry/junk file cleaners?). By the way, how about Microsoft Security Essentials? That's an Antivirus which is completely free for life (although you could argue that you've already paid Microsoft by using a Windows OS).

Yeah it's just me, don't know how to explain except that when I pay, I expect better. If that's true or not, it is the way I feel.
Can you convince me to use Comodo, I have tried it when ver. 4 came out, the problem is the sandbox. How does this compare to SBIE? Is it worth throwing SBIE away for Comodo's? I am just interested in a great firewall for inbound and outbound connections, how is Comodo for this? Is there any evidence this is a superior Firewall? Not talking about HIPS. (please don't bring router up)
Thanks.
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 09:19

wingman wrote:Yeah it's just me, don't know how to explain except that when I pay, I expect better. If that's true or not, it is the way I feel.
Can you convince me to use Comodo, I have tried it when ver. 4 came out, the problem is the sandbox. How does this compare to SBIE? Is it worth throwing SBIE away for Comodo's? I am just interested in a great firewall for inbound and outbound connections, how is Comodo for this? Is there any evidence this is a superior Firewall? Not talking about HIPS. (please don't bring router up)
Thanks.

You might want to create a new topic about this. I'll just say that Comodo's sandbox can't be compared to Sandboxie. Nothing can for that matter haha. Also, why specifically do you want to have outbound connection control?

Feel free to continue discussing stuff like this here:
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/security-f7/discuss-security-setups-and-approaches-here-t6.htm
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/7/2010, 17:03

Freedom of speech might be a great thing (that remains a matter of debate) but I believe moderation is necessary as a forum grows because forums tend to attract spammers, snipers, trolls, hit and run posters and those who like disrespecting others as their personal "norm".
Members that spend their time and effort to join our forum and then contribute over an expended period of time without being one of the aforementioned deserve some respect and "care" from the admins.
I personally will not tolerate any form of abuse or talking up "trouble" "just for the sake of it" and will remove posts and/or ban any member that I see acting like this without any debate.
I don't think that it is neccessary to bring down any other forum to elevate the one that you belong to. If you don't like the other forum just don't go there. A forum gets sort of "shabby" when "freedom of speech" is just used as a free platform for members to negate others "willy-nilly"
Forums that allow a "free for all" tend to have a poor quality of debate, inconsistant input, no large consistant userbase and usually "implode" or "explode" to their own detriment in no time all.

wat0114 wrote:In fairness, moderation is necessary, otherwise things will get out of hand in a big hurry. It is tough for them to always handle certain wayward threads properly, although I do sometimes feel they react in knee-jerk fashion.

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 17:44

I don't think having a "Free For All" section is making any difference to this particular forum to be honest. I doubt we'll get many more members than what we currently have unless we pro-actively recruit them (and in that case, those people won't give a toss about this section haha).

Many people on other forums, including the one mentioned in this thread, requested a "Free For All" section on their respective forum. I feel that it is good to have some diversity in life, and that there are many different kinds of people out there. If you don't care about "Free For All" (speaking to members), you don't need to read the posts there. Pretty simple in my opinion.

I think there are already many many computer security related forums out there, but I don't think there are many English forums that don't specifically use their forum for specific software support. Examples are forums for Malwarebytes', Comodo, Online Armor, etc etc. In my opinion, these forums already have a bias tone to start with and it can be hard to express one's "freedom of speech".

Anyway, if this forum does grow to be reasonably big (that is, 100+ members), I'm sure we'll see some sort of evolution of it. As of now, we're not even close to that, and I kind of like it that way. If we do get big and we see more and more spammers etc, I'd imagine patrick will certainly be setting some much stricter gound rules. As of now, there're only about 5-10 people actively and consistently posting. It's more of a chat room at the moment haha. I like it.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/7/2010, 18:31

I was not referring to the "Free for all" section on this board in particular I was using the term generally.
It's good to have different perspectives or "takes", I agree but I want to make myself clear where I am coming from as an admin\ (having read some recent comments/observations); just because we are proposing a platform where different views and perspectives may be expressed does not mean that this site/forum is a "free for all" for malevolents, haters, spammers, spoilers, trolls etc or people who just argue constantly for "arguments sake"

ssj100 wrote:I don't think having a "Free For All" section is making any difference to this particular forum to be honest. I doubt we'll get many more members than what we currently have unless we pro-actively recruit them (and in that case, those people won't give a toss about this section haha).

Many people on other forums, including the one mentioned in this thread, requested a "Free For All" section on their respective forum. I feel that it is good to have some diversity in life, and that there are many different kinds of people out there. If you don't care about "Free For All" (speaking to members), you don't need to read the posts there. Pretty simple in my opinion.

I think there are already many many computer security related forums out there, but I don't think there are many English forums that don't specifically use their forum for specific software support. Examples are forums for Malwarebytes', Comodo, Online Armor, etc etc. In my opinion, these forums already have a bias tone to start with and it can be hard to express one's "freedom of speech".

Anyway, if this forum does grow to be reasonably big (that is, 100+ members), I'm sure we'll see some sort of evolution of it. As of now, we're not even close to that, and I kind of like it that way. If we do get big and we see more and more spammers etc, I'd imagine patrick will certainly be setting some much stricter gound rules. As of now, there're only about 5-10 people actively and consistently posting. It's more of a chat room at the moment haha. I like it.

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 18:39

Very true patrick.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content