ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Application Launcher trick, using Windows own methods

Go down

Application Launcher trick, using Windows own methods Empty Application Launcher trick, using Windows own methods

Post by Guest 24/2/2012, 04:43

For quite sometime that I've been trying to find the best way to call the programs I tend to use the most. My first choice was to add them to the Windows 7 Desktop context menu, but each cascading menu has a maximum number of items that can be added. 11 if I'm not mistaken. That resulted in a bloody mess in the context menu...

For instance, let's imagine you got 12 different commands of a given application you'd like to add to the context menu, under the same category. Well, you could only add 11 of the 12. Bummer. The alternative would be to add a new cascading menu just for that single command. Bloody insane. What a Face

Then, I thought of adding custom Jump Lists to the Windows 7 task bar. Either the applications I tried were buggy or I couldn't get them to work. Laughing

I could use application launchers, such as Launchy, etc. But, I decided to use Windows own methods.

Moments ago, I was playing around with C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar. This is the folder where Windows 7 actually stores task bar jumplist icons.

I just created a folder within TaskBar, named Chromium, where I created the shortcuts for my different Chromium profiles. I created a shortcut named Chromium - ssj100 Security Forums, and I liked that shortcut to the batch file that I use to run my SSB (site-specific browser) for ssj100 Security Forums.

The beauty of it is that, the shortcut won't be automatically pinned to the task bar; you can pin it yourself later on. You don't have to, though. I didn't. To open this Chromium-SSB profile, I simply press the Start Menu and type ss, which will make the shortcut name Chromium - ssj100 Security Forums be the only one appearing in the list. Then, I just press Enter.

It would be faster to just pin the shortcut to the task bar itself, but I got quite a few profiles, so adding them all would result in poluting the task bar. Laughing

So, I found in this the right balance.

Note: You could easily achieve the same in other Windows versions. You just have to find a folder that Windows treats as "special". I'm not that familiar with other versions of Windows, so I don't know their paths and all that.

Back to top Go down

Application Launcher trick, using Windows own methods Empty Re: Application Launcher trick, using Windows own methods

Post by Guest 25/2/2012, 04:06

I'm loving this... Very Happy I've created the same type of shortcuts for HitmanPro. I just got to type h p, and the two HitmanPro shortcuts will be called, and will be the main shortcuts in the last. There are a few more Windows own shortcuts appearing as well.

Your imagination is the only thing stopping you... Smile No cluttered Desktop, no cluttered Task Bar... No need for third-party application launchers either. Exclamation

Back to top Go down

Application Launcher trick, using Windows own methods Empty Re: Application Launcher trick, using Windows own methods

Post by Guest 25/2/2012, 04:08

For instance, a shortcut pointing to "C:\Program Files\HitmanPro\HitmanPro.exe" /scan /noupload will perform a default scan with no uploading.

"C:\Program Files\HitmanPro\HitmanPro.exe" /scan /ews /noupload will do a Early Warning Scoring scan with no uploading.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down