ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Settingup a "secure" PC for seniors (noobs)?

5 posters

Go down

Settingup a "secure" PC for seniors (noobs)?  Empty Settingup a "secure" PC for seniors (noobs)?

Post by Peace 5/3/2011, 14:22

Hi all, im going to setup a pc for my Father who knows nothing about comps and i thought id ask you guys on userfriendly Vs Secure..
I installed Win7, applocker, lua, outpostfw, sandboxie, FF with noscript and cslite and realized that the longer Admin login name could pose a problem for my father not to mention the firewall, hips, sandboxie, cookies and noscript. How can i make this setup userfriendly(no popups) but still be safe. (oxymoron?)
Returnil?

Please advice

Peace

Peace

Back to top Go down

Settingup a "secure" PC for seniors (noobs)?  Empty Re: Settingup a "secure" PC for seniors (noobs)?

Post by kjdemuth 5/3/2011, 20:38

What you have installed seems unfriendly to a computer challenge person. I would ditch no script. As soon as he finds a site that requires a script to run he'll be calling you. A boot to restore would be a good option. You just have to be careful if he downloads things or updates documents. Nothing is worse than updating a paper/document and forgetting to commit it/turn off the protection. You could set up a folder that is an exception to the protection. That way it would automatically updated. Returnil and sandboxie would be a good combo. Like I said just add an exception to some of the folders he uses. In sandboxie tick on dropmyrights. Sandbox all internet facing apps. I would ditch outpost and just use win7 firewall. The less pop ups he gets, the less calls you'll get.

kjdemuth

Back to top Go down

Settingup a "secure" PC for seniors (noobs)?  Empty Re: Settingup a "secure" PC for seniors (noobs)?

Post by blues 5/3/2011, 20:48

My wife isn't into the whole computer security thing and I get called in to address any issues (should they arise).

The setup I have for her is: Sandboxie (browser/email), Privatefirewall (set to default / auto respond & pop-up on "new" outbound connections that weren't previously "allowed") & Microsoft Security Essentials.

She gets very few alerts (and they are mostly very intuitive in nature) and it runs as smooth as can be.

(For additional security I have WOT and AdBlock Plus for her Firefox browser; connect via ClearCloud DNS & also use HostsMan with MVPS Hosts file. All of these are essentially set and forget for the most part.)

blues

Back to top Go down

Post by tnegjm 6/3/2011, 10:02

I've run into the same predicaments setting up my relative's computers. I have some of them set up tighter than others. It just depends how they use their computers. If they don't install new programs frequently and I am able to do updates for them I'll set them up tighter (SUA/Applocker, Sandboxie, IE8 for Banking/FF w/ no script for all other, some win hardening). If not, I'll set them up with more flexibility with admin access for only installing software/hardware/updates. I'll also teach them the best ways to minimize infected software that they install (scans, safer download sites, hash checks, etc.) or they can email me what they are looking for and I'll hopefully find them a safer alternative. I leave a direct access path in the browser's sandbox settings to a sandboxed download folder and set the default download directory for the browsers to this folder. I teach them that this is the only way to save any downloads from the browsers. I also teach them about safe computer habits.

I've used Returnil before for distant relative that rarely if ever install programs and set their folder exceptions.

I agree that no script is a little hard for them to use at first but they seem to get on with it fine. I usually keep tightening restrictions until it's too much for them, then I back off a little. They might not be as restrictive as some of us on this site but at least they are significantly more secure than they were.

tnegjm

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace 7/3/2011, 23:07

Many thanks for all the good advice, i appreciate it.

Peace

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBrian 9/3/2011, 07:57

If your father never needs or wants to install things himself:

AppLocker or similar
standard account
browser that runs everything with low integrity (note: IE and Chrome at default settings don't fulfill this requirement); I use Firefox running as low integrity
built in firewall
Avast free
EMET on full for dangerous apps
Firefox extensions Adblock Plus, NoScript (allow all scripts globally), BetterPrivacy, and Web of Trust; Firefox is set to delete all cookies, Flash cookies, cache, history, etc. when Firefox exits

No security prompts for father Smile.

MrBrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace 10/3/2011, 22:12

thank you MrBrian.

Peace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down