ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DLL only Drivebys?

3 posters

Go down

DLL only Drivebys? Empty DLL only Drivebys?

Post by Rico 24/1/2011, 06:38

Hi ssj, since you test alot of malware I wanted to ask if you ever came by a driveby that only consists of a lone DLL file. If so then what can a DLL file accomplish on its own? can it execute simultaneously without any user intervention?

Rico
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

DLL only Drivebys? Empty Re: DLL only Drivebys?

Post by ssj100 24/1/2011, 06:49

Hi Rico, yes I do test malware from time to time (only interesting ones mind you), but unfortunately I don't have much knowledge in terms of exact programming mechanisms.

As far as I understand it, a DLL file needs to have some other process to direct it to run/load. I suspect that eg. the web browser can be used as the "other process". So yes, I think in the right circumstances and in this context, a malicious DLL file can be used to cause significant damage without any user intervention.

I'm not aware of any drive-by that ONLY used a DLL file, but then as I said, I've never known much about the mechanisms of malware propagation.

Hopefully p2u can clarify it for us.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by p2u 24/1/2011, 14:29

Rico wrote:If so then what can a DLL file accomplish on its own? can it execute simultaneously without any user intervention?
A DLL is a module that contains functions and data that can be used by a program or by another DLL. It cannot launch itself (the system can, at startup, for example) and the user cannot launch it by double-clicking it. All it takes for a DLL to be used is: open any file and the (usually vulnerable) program which is linked to the file type will launch, load the DLL and follow the instructions therein. The "trigger" can be a .gif image on a remote server, for example. Sometimes, it is not even necessary for the user to click on anything (e.g. with Adobe PDF exploits); just opening the directory where the "trigger" file (in this case a PDF file) is located will be enough to launch the dll loading mechanism. What happens next is up to the creator of the exploit, but usually it will be something like a command to the program that opened the "trigger" file to download and launch some executable from somewhere. Since the vulnerable program will most likely be "Trusted" (whitelisted by your security vendor), this will work in most cases unless you have 1) a good anti-executable or 2) a good sandbox or 3) some super-paranoid HIPS program with maximum settings (not workable for the average user).
P.S.: I basically excluded this type of on-line exploits by:
1) Removing ALL plugins from my browser (Firefox itself is not vulnerable to binary planting)
2) Disabling lots of Windows services (especially the Web Client service plays a not-so-nice role in binary planting)
3) Using Firefox with NoScript (default whitelist removed; no exceptions configured) and extreme DefaultDeny Adblock Plus settings (sites that are not in the white list can load only text)
4) Setting extremely tight firewall rules - on the application level, only Firefox has Internet access, so any attempt to download something with anything else but Firefox will fail. My default browser (surprise, surprise) = IE8, but it can't get out.

Paul

p2u
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico 25/1/2011, 04:49

Excellent post p2u! Thank you for your insight.

I wonder if Sandboxie covers DLL execution, if not then it would be a great suggestion for the developer to bulkup the execution control setting.

Rico
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 25/1/2011, 08:03

Sandboxie does not block DLL execution. As far as I know, Sandboxie's start/run restrictions only block ".exe" execution. But then Sandboxie was never made to be an anti-executable. The way I see it, the start/run restrictions are simply a bonus. Still, I guess there's no harm in putting DLL blocking as a Feature Request.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum