ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How fast does your Windows system boot up?

+4
burebista
Buster_BSA
wingman
ssj100
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How fast does your Windows system boot up?

How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_lcap5%How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_lcap10%How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]
How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_lcap14%How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_lcap19%How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 4 ]
How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_lcap24%How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 5 ]
How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_lcap14%How fast does your Windows system boot up? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 21

How fast does your Windows system boot up? Empty How fast does your Windows system boot up?

Post by ssj100 9/5/2010, 15:10

I'm talking about the time it takes your Windows to fully boot up. That is, from pressing the "Power" button on your computer to everything in your system tray fully loaded up (and ideally your hard drive stops crunching). I'm also talking about your typical boot up - for example, some people run in Shadow Mode by default (which adds around 5 seconds to boot up time). So please vote/post your typical boot up time.

Mine takes about 46-48 seconds on Windows XP, 32-bit, on a computer with hardware bought in early 2007. I suspect I could take away about 10 seconds if I didn't have the Dell BIOS booting up every time haha.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How fast does your Windows system boot up? Empty Re: How fast does your Windows system boot up?

Post by Guest 15/5/2010, 07:45

mine is 44.92 seconds,with Sandboxie start with Windows,
booting into ShadowMode.

Window XP sp3,AMD Athlon64 Dual Core Processor 5200+,1gb RAM

noor

Back to top Go down

How fast does your Windows system boot up? Empty Re: How fast does your Windows system boot up?

Post by ssj100 15/5/2010, 13:14

noorismail wrote:mine is 44.92 seconds,with Sandboxie start with Windows,
booting into ShadowMode.

Window XP sp3,AMD Athlon64 Dual Core Processor 5200+,1gb RAM

noor

Yes, makes me wonder how much faster mine would boot if I didn't have this silly Dell BIOS taking an extra 10-15 seconds to load. I hope Dell systems have a faster BIOS load nowadays - I plan to keep buying from them!

You must start up Windows in about 40 seconds or less in non-Shadow mode then noor?

What's galling is that my VM XP running on 512Mb RAM and only using one of my processors boots up Windows much faster than my REAL system. Still, I'm happy with a boot up time of anything less than 50 seconds! I'm actually unsure if having a separate Limited User Account (and therefore being forced to use the Welcome logon screen or similar) adds any more delay to my boot up. I may try switching off the Welcome logon screen and instead use the traditional Windows NT logon and see if boot up is any faster!
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/5/2010, 13:29

That sounds about right ssj.
I really never cold start my machine,other than for this test.
When I go Start+turn off computer+Restart,with ShadowMode enabled,my time from hitting
restart to a usable desktop is around 55 secs.
Without ShadowDefender is is closer to 45 secs.

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 20/5/2010, 08:19

I'm still waiting for someone to vote less than 10 seconds (which I think is only possible with Windows 98 or 95) haha. Whoever voted 10-20 seconds, I'd be interested in which OS you're using and what hardware you're running on!
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20/5/2010, 11:54

For that matter,I would be interested in the specs of the the 20-30 second vote

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 24/5/2010, 04:31

I have a old Dell XPS Gen3, Intel Pentium 4 3.60GHz, 3GB RAM.
With Windowblinds, and Objectdock adds more time for a total of about 60 seconds.
With Defensewall add another 20-30 seconds, that's why I now use Sandboxie.
Outpost was a little slower in loading times than Online Armor.
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 24/5/2010, 06:27

wingman wrote:I have a old Dell XPS Gen3, Intel Pentium 4 3.60GHz, 3GB RAM.
With Windowblinds, and Objectdock adds more time for a total of about 60 seconds.

I'm not a big fan of DefenseWall, but it shouldn't be adding 20-30 seconds to your boot time. Maybe you should ask Ilya about it.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 24/5/2010, 07:41

ssj100 wrote:
wingman wrote:I have a old Dell XPS Gen3, Intel Pentium 4 3.60GHz, 3GB RAM.

I'm not a big fan of DefenseWall, but it shouldn't be adding 20-30 seconds to your boot time. Maybe you should ask Ilya about it.

Before, during the beta 3 session, Ilya sent many test drivers, it was a lot worse, before 45 to a minute extra boot-up time. Funny thing, it runs fast and smooth on the wife's machine (XP). Everything I have tried on mine (new drivers thanks to Ilya, helped some) bogs it down 20- 30 seconds. What's worse is making a snap-shot with FDISR takes maybe 5 minutes longer.
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster_BSA 22/7/2010, 01:18

ssj100 wrote:I'm talking about the time it takes your Windows to fully boot up. That is, from pressing the "Power" button on your computer to everything in your system tray fully loaded up (and ideally your hard drive stops crunching).

That´s very relative because it may depend of the motherboard.

e.g. mine has a delay because it checks if the user wants to enter the Raid setup.

That delay (around 5 seconds) should not be counted because it doesn´t depend at all of the OS installed.
Buster_BSA
Buster_BSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster_BSA 22/7/2010, 01:19

ssj100 wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to vote less than 10 seconds (which I think is only possible with Windows 98 or 95) haha. Whoever voted 10-20 seconds, I'd be interested in which OS you're using and what hardware you're running on!

I don´t think that´s possible because just the hardware checkings since you press the power button may take those 10 seconds. Wink
Buster_BSA
Buster_BSA

Back to top Go down

Post by burebista 23/7/2010, 13:55

How fast does your Windows system boot up? 2ujt343

I really don't care about boot time but about one year ago when I receive a Corsair SSD (S128) I've made that printscreen.
burebista
burebista

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 23/7/2010, 14:57

burebista wrote:How fast does your Windows system boot up? 2ujt343

I really don't care about boot time but about one year ago when I receive a Corsair SSD (S128) I've made that printscreen.

Is that the time from pressing the power button on your computer to everything loaded up in your system tray (and you hard-drive "rests") etc? I wouldn't have thought a utility/program would be able to time that accurately (especially the first 2-3 seconds after physically pressing the power button).
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by burebista 23/7/2010, 15:02

Probably not. Very Happy
But as I said I don't care about boot time so I measured with that utility instead measuring with a stopwatch or something.
I really don't understand why is important if my rig is booting in one minute or in 5 minutes. confused
For me all that matter is how responsive is after booting/settled down.
burebista
burebista

Back to top Go down

Post by Soyabeaner 13/8/2010, 23:35

Old Desktop Pentium 4 @ 2.40 Ghz on XP 32-bit : 26 seconds to see desktop, 29-30 seconds for hour glass to disappear

New Notebook i3 @ 2.26 Ghz on 7 64-bit: 30-40 seconds. Why slower even though it's tweaked already? Because the OS is more bloated. This will change much later when I decide to remove some built-in Windows files and "undeletables" with a fresh format.

BTW, it's certainly possible to boot less than 10 seconds in the Linux world ;)

Soyabeaner

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 14/8/2010, 00:21

Soyabeaner wrote:Old Desktop Pentium 4 @ 2.40 Ghz on XP 32-bit : 26 seconds to see desktop, 29-30 seconds for hour glass to disappear

You see, that's something I fail to understand. I am running an Intel Core 2 Duo on the same operating system, and it takes about 46 seconds to completely boot up. How are you managing to boot up within 30 seconds with a processor that's at least 5 years older?

I have disabled quite a few services etc, and it's not as if I am running a lot of third party software that runs on start up. In fact, the only security software that starts up is Sandboxie. Without Sandboxie, my boot up time is probably 45.5 seconds haha. There must be something not quite right in the timing of the boot-up period. Again, this is from 1 to 2:
1. The spontaneous moment you press the power button on your computer.
2. When your hard-drive first stops making the "churning" noise (usually when everything is loaded in system tray, as well as the hour-glass symbol disappearing etc).
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Soyabeaner 14/8/2010, 01:32

And that one is a single core :). It takes 12 seconds just for the old BIOS to load up. I'm a clean freak tweaker. I've dealt with nLite as well manually removing of useless files (even those in System32 folders), registry hacks, keeping the Event Viewer cleaned of errors, keeping 1.59MB user profile size (an achievement that not many can comprehend), etc. Disabling system services is just an elementary step to all that lol, which btw I have only 9 running in regular mode. It's not something recommended unless you're willing to take the risks.

Soyabeaner

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 14/8/2010, 01:41

Soyabeaner wrote:And that one is a single core Smile. It takes 12 seconds just for the old BIOS to load up. I'm a clean freak tweaker. I've dealt with nLite as well manually removing of files, keeping the Event Viewer cleaned of errors, keeping 1.59MB user profile size (an achievement that not many can comprehend), etc. Disabling system services is just an elementary step to all that lol, which btw I have only 9 running in regular mode. It's not something recommended unless you're willing to take the risks.

I see. Yes, I keep my Event Viewer error free too. I think the user profile size may be contributing to my slower boot-up. Mine's currently 37.4Gb haha.

And yes, I suppose your "tweaks" may not work smoothly for many systems out there.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Soyabeaner 14/8/2010, 01:59

Profile size can easily be reduced if you refrain from saving your downloads to the desktop Razz and using portable software. But LUA users will encounter problems as most preferred software saves data in the user apps folders, which also contributes to profile size (including the Documents, My Pictures, and similar folders). One app that should be able to shrink it down to an extent is NTRegOpt - I still use this legendary gem even on Windows 7.

Soyabeaner

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 14/8/2010, 02:05

Soyabeaner wrote:Profile size can easily be reduced if you refrain from saving your downloads to the desktop Razz and using portable software. But LUA users will encounter problems as most preferred software saves data in the user apps folders, which also contributes to profile size (including the Documents, My Pictures, and similar folders). One app that should be able to shrink it down to an extent is NTRegOpt - I still use this legendary gem even on Windows 7.

Yes, but I like the convenience of saving things on to the desktop. If you think about it, the extra 10 seconds it may take to boot up your system would be completely wiped by the time you save from handling things from the desktop etc. I suppose it's all arguable, and in the end, it's up to what one prefers.

I also use VirtualBox which saves individual virtual "hard-drives" into the user profile also (eg. my Windows XP virtual hard-drive is taking up 6Gb, while my Windows 7 one would be taking up 10Gb or so). I suppose this could be changed to another partition etc, but I can't be bothered haha. My system is lightning fast as it is.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Soyabeaner 17/8/2010, 15:56

I finally tied my old system's boot time of 26 seconds, but this time the hour glass is already gone. It appears Windows 7's Welcome screen for those few seconds last longer than XP's, so technically I beat my old record. I deleted a couple hundred fonts, but that didn't seem to affect the speed like it did in XP. What really shaved off 4 seconds was the old No Gui Boot trick in msconfig, but I have to be careful the next time I decide to defrag at boot time or run a disk check, because staring at a black screen for that long can produce a negative psychological effect (can't really tell whether its doing background jobs or stuck at boot :P). I can't wait until RT Seven Lite is finalized so it'll be even faster.

Soyabeaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Soyabeaner 18/8/2010, 02:37

And here I thought I was out of tweaks Very Happy. My new record: 22 seconds cheers

What I did to trim off another 4 seconds:
1. Delete NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf and layout.ini files
2. Sort Prefetch folder by Modified date to monitor and make sure the files are recreated
3. Close all applications
4. Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks (I thought this command only worked in XP, but fortunately I was wrong)
5. If either files above are not recreated, reboot and repeat steps.
6. Make sure new file sizes are smaller! (they always are if it's the first time the steps are performed)

Soyabeaner

Back to top Go down

Post by noorismail 18/8/2010, 03:54

Guys,I know this must sound stupid,but when you are talking keeping your event view error free,are talking about actually trouble shooting each error,or just deleting those humongous long logs?
I delete the logs,but whats left is still showing a lot of red,mostly for disabled services etc.
I still have decent boot time.
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 18/8/2010, 07:40

noorismail wrote:Guys,I know this must sound stupid,but when you are talking keeping your event view error free,are talking about actually trouble shooting each error,or just deleting those humongous long logs?
I delete the logs,but whats left is still showing a lot of red,mostly for disabled services etc.
I still have decent boot time.

For me, it's to keep the log error free - that is, showing no (red) errors. I don't know if there is any advantage of this, but it's at least psychologically positive haha.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Soyabeaner 18/8/2010, 16:01

It's not only for mental comfort :scratch:, but troubleshooting those errors can help in both boot time and system performance, depending on the severity. Sometimes disabling a service can slow down things if it's necessary to start another service and so on. In Windows 7, the Event Viewer is...crazy bloated. It's 15 times larger and contains all these logged details. I couldn't find a way to stop them all.

Soyabeaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next