ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MultiHasher

Go down

MultiHasher Empty MultiHasher

Post by Guest 22/2/2012, 08:40

Sometime ago I started a thread, at somewhere else, about file integrity verification software applications. From the small amount of hash tools I tested, I really enjoyed MultiHasher, by the same team behind HostsMan software application.

-http://www.abelhadigital.com/multihasher

Calculate one or more hash values for a single file at once
Calculate hash values for multiple files and text string
Supported hash algorithms: CRC32, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512
Supports hash file verification (MHX, SFV, MD5Sum, etc.)
Supports NT file namespace
Able to query VirusTotal database
Able to upload files to VirusTotal (API key required)
Integrates with Windows Explorer context menu (optional)
Hash calculation can be canceled
Unicode support
Supports file drag'n'drop
Localizable UI
Portable

MultiHasher MultiHasher_1.0

Image source: Abelhadigital

There's an open source application I also liked, but the GUI is not as clean as MultiHasher's. Overall, I actually enjoyed MultiHash more than I did enjoy FileVerifier++.

It doesn't mention, but it also has command-line options. There's an help file about it.

Back to top Go down

MultiHasher Empty Re: MultiHasher

Post by ssj100 23/2/2012, 05:55

Looks good, I might try it out.

I personally use HashTab. Since I like to keep the number of installed software to a minimum on my system, I actually install HashTab "on-demand" in a sandbox. Once I've finished checking the hash of a file, I empty the sandbox.

This may sound impractical if one is checking Hash values multiple times a day. However, I only occasionally check Hash values for newly introduced executables on my system (almost exclusively, these executables are for updating already installed programs). For example, if the executable has a valid digital certificate and VirusTotal says it's clean, I don't bother verifying the Hash value. Risky isn't it haha. In some situations (particularly for non-executable files eg. .doc, .avi), I even just rely on on-demand scanning with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (also installed "on-demand" in a sandbox and emptied when finished).
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/2/2012, 06:08

HashTab... For those who'd like to use such kind of app. as you do, I suppose it wouldn't harm. But, if anyone has intentions of using HashTab, be aware that it will inject a DLL into explorer.exe, which will not support ASLR. Considering that Windows Explorer is a fairly used "application", we could see it as a threat gate, which would now be weakened by HashTab lack of ASLR support.

Some may argue that these kind of mitigation techniques, such as ASLR, aren't bulletproof - and, they aren't - but, if it was that easy for attackers to bypass them all together, then we would see ASLR, DEP, etc being broken every day? Question

I didn't check whether or not MultiHasher injects a DLL not supporting ASLR, as I don't have the right-click context menu option enabled. I'll have to check it.

I have contacted HashTab team a few months ago, and they said they were going to release a new version supporting ASLR, but they never did.

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 23/2/2012, 06:13

Good point about ASLR, although as you say, arguably a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. For me, I don't worry about ASLR because I'm still happily using Windows XP haha.

Anyway, one thing I like about MultiHasher is that it's able to communicate with VirusTotal.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum