ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My two cents

2 posters

Go down

My two cents  Empty My two cents

Post by wingman 8/3/2011, 07:55

Here is my opinion of three of sandbox/visualization programs; Sandboxie, DefenseWall, Buferzone.
Defensewall has a great concept of install and forget, bad is slows the computer start-up time and loading of particular programs ( have been working with Ilay on this for some time) boot time is slower, but has improved a little. The mess it leaves in the registry is unacceptable. And I think there is some conflict with the people at Emsisoft becuase The two programs (Online Armor and Defensewall) do not coincide, both sides say they have done what they could do.
Next Bufferzone wiped out 50 % of my programs, after installing and making a separate backup with FirstDefense Thebat! MS FS2004 MS office and others were gone! Nothing left but icons. Using another snap-shot that Buferzone was not even in, still was wreaked, had to reformat the computer.
Sandboxie, the only negative is hard learning curve, but smooth as silk never know it is there except when asking to recover a downloaded file. Does not slow down anything.
Sandboxie is one of the best software purchases I have made.
Stay away form Bufferzone, far away.
Defensewall I would love to use full time it does make me feel very safe, but the drawbacks keep me from doing so. I do have it installed on my wife's computer (she hates to answer pop-up and could not figure out SBIE. As the only protection (plus router) it is working great for the both of us, no malware has broken through.

We both run XP home sp-3
wingman
wingman

Back to top Go down

My two cents  Empty Re: My two cents

Post by ssj100 8/3/2011, 09:12

I think I share similar views to you. Just a couple of differences:
1. DefenseWall/BufferZone don't feel as secure to me as Sandboxie. There are several reasons for this. For DefenseWall, this includes the potential for "frozen malware/malware debris" on the system (you can't rely on or expect black-listing scanners to clean 100% of all this). Other significant reasons are as follows:
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/t290-defensewall-pitfalls#2314
https://ssj100.forumotion.com/t309-defensewall-pitfalls#2497

2. I've only ever installed BufferZone in a freshly installed Windows XP VM, and I've never experienced any significant issues in my testing.

Obviously for me, Sandboxie is the clear winner. However, you do need to understand it well to make full use of it.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/3/2011, 17:59

Wingman I've removed your avatar. Members please note, do not put infammatory content on the forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum