ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

System Safe Free Edition

2 posters

Go down

System Safe Free Edition Empty System Safe Free Edition

Post by DarkPhoenix 2/12/2010, 08:08

What do you good folks think of this one?

It features an anti-malware/anti-spyware, virtual mode, system restore and rollback.

I am interested in this "system restore and rollback" feature as a possible alternative to Comodo Time Machine or Rollback Rx. You see I have had both of these and they both gave the same problem - freezing during installation of a snapshot. At this point no way to recover any other snapshots were possible, all I could do was reinstall a new copy of Windows. So far, the folks at Comodo or Horizon Data Systems offer no reason why this should happen. The interesting thing is one failed in my desktop pc and the other in a new notebook pc, unmodified.

Horizon Data Systems tells me they have made some changes in the new ver of Rollback Rx ( 9.1) but I am still leery about using this program. When these programs worked I LOVED THEM !!! I loved the concept they operated under.

So, any good dirt on Returnil System Safe Free Edition?

Update:

This morning I decided to install this and take a look around. The System and Restore feature asks me for a paid activation key, when clearly this feature is supposed to be Free according to this page: http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/products I left a message on the Official Support Forum asking about this. FYI Returnil uses Wilders for their Official Support Forum - shouldn't a company like this have a forum of their own? This company is starting to scare me.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone from Returnil wrote me back saying the green check mark button on the webpage was a mistake and they will remove it.

DarkPhoenix

Back to top Go down

System Safe Free Edition Empty Re: System Safe Free Edition

Post by ssj100 4/12/2010, 23:45

Hi DarkPhoenix. That mistake still hasn't been corrected at the time of this post:
http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/products

Also, it might be worth noting the poor grammar below "System Restore and Rollback":
Let's you recover infected files or restore your system to a clean state
There shouldn't be an apostrophe in "Let's". Sure, I'm being picky haha, but these sorts of things can potentially damage a company's reputation!

With regards to the actual product, if you like light virtualisation security, then you'll love Returnil. However, for those using Sandboxie (especially the full version), I really don't see any point in using light virtualisation except to prevent eg. your child accidentally deleting your files.

I remember being quite keen on using Shadow Defender (pretty much the same concept as Returnil) with Sandboxie, but quickly dismissed the idea after I discovered a (fairly subtle, but very concerning) conflict with Sandboxie. Keep in mind that this conflict had been there for several months, and probably still wouldn't have been discovered to this day if it wasn't for me experimenting around haha. Shadow Defender's developer fixed this conflict a few weeks after I discovered it, but who knows what other undiscovered conflicts exist - it only took me a few days of playing around with the Sandboxie/Shadow Defender combination before I discovered the conflict.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkPhoenix 5/12/2010, 04:41

Yeah, I noticed they haven't fixed it also. I'm gonna give it a solid week then if it's still up mention it to the guy again.

The thing is for what the Free version offers, you can get elsewhere free with no strings attached - and fully functional. I just kinda think that software is made to be a tease to entice you to buy the full version - instead of a true fully functional free version.

I'm still using the trail version of Sandboxie and hope to have the funds to get the full soon. ( times are tough and I spend way too much on my awesome Electric Bike ) I'd like to be able to use multiple sandboxes but for now it's not a problem because I only run a browser (Minefield 64 bit ver of Firefox), an email client (Lanikai 64 bit ver of Thunderbird) and MIRC.

DarkPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/4/2011, 22:49

Returnil free is an excellent program, the AV is light and engined by Frisk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down