ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Autorun

Go down

No Autorun Empty No Autorun

Post by Guest 3/7/2010, 17:25

Just thought I'd mention this useful little software
NoAutorun
I use version 1.0.3.6 on Windows 2000

NoAutorun 1.0.3.6

but more versions here 32 and 64

.......................................................................................
Blocks virus in USB flash/disk from auto-running. When a USB disk is inserted, this tool not only locks the autorun.inf file, but also locks all the autorun-related virus and other suspicious files.

Image of config etc

Back to top Go down

No Autorun Empty Re: No Autorun

Post by ssj100 3/7/2010, 17:41

Thanks patrick. By the way, why is a third party program required to disable autorun? What exactly is the additional protection it offers compared to the following?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

How to selectively disable specific Autorun features
To selectively disable specific Autorun features, you must change the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry in one of the following registry key subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\

The following table shows the settings for the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry entry.

No Autorun 82551879

The value of the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry entry determines which drive or drives the Autorun functionality will be disabled for. For example, if you want to disable Autorun for network drives only, you must set the value of NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry entry to 0x10.

If you want to disable Autorun for multiple drives, you must add the corresponding hexadecimal values to the 0x10 value. For example, if you want to disable Autorun for removable drives and for network drives, you must add 0x4 and 0x10, which is the mathematical addition of 2 hexadecimal values, to determine the value to use. 0x4 + 0x10 = 0x14. Therefore, in this example, you would set the value of the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry to 0x14.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/7/2010, 22:30

I think it's just "handy", it runs in the tray and can re-enable in a second...not really sure about all the ins and outs of it but I personally prefer this because I often can't remember after some time has elapsed what reg config I've made or whatever...Yes, it just to hand. A friend got a virus/trojan/keylogger/browser hijacker recently through a usb stick belonging to his girlfriend and it took three servings of £300 out of his bank account. It took me quite a while to clean the pc with a whole bunch of "tools".

ssj100 wrote:Thanks patrick. By the way, why is a third party program required to disable autorun? What exactly is the additional protection it offers compared to the following?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

How to selectively disable specific Autorun features
To selectively disable specific Autorun features, you must change the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry in one of the following registry key subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\

The following table shows the settings for the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry entry.

No Autorun 82551879

The value of the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry entry determines which drive or drives the Autorun functionality will be disabled for. For example, if you want to disable Autorun for network drives only, you must set the value of NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry entry to 0x10.

If you want to disable Autorun for multiple drives, you must add the corresponding hexadecimal values to the 0x10 value. For example, if you want to disable Autorun for removable drives and for network drives, you must add 0x4 and 0x10, which is the mathematical addition of 2 hexadecimal values, to determine the value to use. 0x4 + 0x10 = 0x14. Therefore, in this example, you would set the value of the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry to 0x14.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down