ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If running a forum, Is it possible to use sandboxie?

3 posters

Go down

If running a forum, Is it possible to use sandboxie? Empty If running a forum, Is it possible to use sandboxie?

Post by Guest 10/5/2010, 02:21

I presently run Sandboxie 3.45.10 on all my browsers (Internet Explorer 6, Firefox portable and Opera 9.10) as forced folders. Opera is my default browser (at the moment).
I want to run a forum (Invision) and I wonder if anyone has any experience of incorporating Sandboxie? Is it possible? I know that we now have the "Run outside Sandbox" option. I also use Shadow Defender but not always in Shadow Mode.

Back to top Go down

If running a forum, Is it possible to use sandboxie? Empty Re: If running a forum, Is it possible to use sandboxie?

Post by ssj100 10/5/2010, 02:56

I don't have any experience of creating a forum from scratch (using own programs etc), and that's why I created these forums from online templates.

I don't see any problem with running forum-related programs in Sandboxie though - many programs run successfully when installed inside a sandbox. I guess you won't know for sure until you try.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

If running a forum, Is it possible to use sandboxie? Empty Re: If running a forum, Is it possible to use sandboxie?

Post by Guest 10/5/2010, 03:42

Thanks ssj100, I'll think a bit further about it, I'm not 100% sure of what I want to achieve.

Back to top Go down

Post by nick s 10/5/2010, 08:58

patrick wrote:I want to run a forum (Invision)...
When you say "run", do you mean "host" or "administrate"?

"Host" usually means setting up a server (like Apache) and installing/serving/managing a forum application like phpBB. I've done it in the past. It was fun but the learning curve is steep if you're in a hurry. I could see some advantages to sandboxing a server (like Apache for Windows).

"Administrate" usually means renting server space that is compatible with the forum software you want to use and manage. Invision makes it easy. They take care of the server and the forum software. In this scenario, Sandboxie would only sandbox the browser you use to command/control the forum. The server and forum software would be hosted somewhere else...outside of Sandboxie's control.

nick s
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by arran 10/5/2010, 10:47

I don't have much knowledge in this area about sandboxing forums, but lets say that you can sandbox the forums how are you going to save the forums database ie new members and topics etc? to the real OS? If your forums happens to become infected with malware and you empty out the sandbox you would also loose a lot of members accounts. for invision power board security I recommend you you pay a visit to the official invision power board
forums for security Tips.
arran
arran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/5/2010, 21:48

nick "I want to run a forum (Invision)"
When you say "run", do you mean "host" or "administrate"?

Hi nick s, I meant "host"
and maybe just sandbox certain parts of the whole structure (certain folders etc) with quick recovery option

Just an idea I was "toying" with really Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by nick s 11/5/2010, 08:24

patrick wrote:Hi nick s, I meant "host"
and maybe just sandbox certain parts of the whole structure (certain folders etc) with quick recovery option

Just an idea I was "toying" with really Smile
It would be an interesting project. Keep us posted if you go ahead with it.

nick s
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down