ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virtualbox running in Linux

2 posters

Go down

Virtualbox running in Linux Empty Virtualbox running in Linux

Post by jna90 20/7/2011, 19:41

Good day everybody,

I was wondering the following.
Surfing the web is my main concern of becoming infected or runover by malware.
If I installed virtualbox with a windows installation inside Linux thats running lets say Sandboxie to protect my browser (firefox 5 most of the time), does it make me more secure since the host that runs virtualbox is linux ?
Of course I try to use the root account as little as possible and always try to login into linux as a regular user or LUA as it is called in Windows.

In short: Am I potentially more secure if I boot into Linux, run virtualbox as regular user and then run windows 7 32-bit inside the virtualbox which runs Sandboxie to protect the browser ?

I know that running a virtualbox has its limitations, like 3d graphics is problematic. But I use the virtualbox for surfing most of time anyway.

Or is this overkill ? lol. anyway, I hope someone is willing to give this a thought and give an opinion about it.
Thanks for reading Very Happy

Ow, Why do I want to have windows inside linux ?
Well, I have tons and tons of programs for windows for which i have payed for and sometimes there are no substitutes/equivalents for linux.
And the nice thing of linux and virtualbox is that I can access all my NTFS partitions and use them.

I still have windows 64 bit, so I haven't given up on windows, not at all. I like windows a lot.

Last edited by jna90 on 20/7/2011, 19:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

jna90

Back to top Go down

Virtualbox running in Linux Empty Re: Virtualbox running in Linux

Post by ssj100 21/7/2011, 00:16

I think if you're going to boot into Linux, you may as well do your surfing with Linux - I've never heard of anyone getting infected using a Linux OS.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jna90 21/7/2011, 02:37

Now that I am thinking about it.. yes, you're right.
I was overcomplicating things here.. but I like to use virtual box inside linux not only for browsing, I also do other stuff with it.
Sometimes I want to do a quick lookup on the net and open a browser inside the box instead of opening a browser in linux.

But all in all you're right, if I'm in linux as a regular or limited user I can browse of course.
Although I've never heard of anyone being compromised on linux installation either, it still bothers me a bit.
But with all the numerous security settings I should be safe.

Another thing, I still have some problems somewhat with my graphics driver in linux.. i have high resolution (1920x1080).. that's not the problem, but I can't get my second monitor to function properly.
It only displays a clone image from my main monitor.. ah well, got more searching to do on linux forums.

Anyway, I still have windows 64 bit on my main hdd. although linux is great, it is still not entirely as good as windows sometimes. I mean software wise and graphics.
I have certain programs and games that only exist on windows.
Also I'm not very up to date about using WINE inside linux, but I imagine that not all windows software are compatible with WINE in linux.

Thanks ssj100 for your response, much appreciated Very Happy

jna90

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down