ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Started using Shadow Defender again

2 posters

Go down

Started using Shadow Defender again  Empty Started using Shadow Defender again

Post by Guest 8/7/2011, 19:00

I've started using Shadow Defender again, I'd lost a bit of confidence in it with all the strange goings on over this last year or so. I've just changed operating systems (reluctantly) from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro and have a new PC. This time I've gone for version 1.1.0.325, I'm running it with Sandboxie 3.46 (prefer this version) and Avast 4.8 Pro (prefer this version) Everything seems fine at the moment and I'll post here if I find any glitches etc. I'm happy that it's back on my PC Smile

Back to top Go down

Started using Shadow Defender again  Empty Re: Started using Shadow Defender again

Post by ssj100 9/7/2011, 02:07

As long as you don't use version 1.1.0.331, it should be fine I think. There's still no changelog on the web-site for this version which came out more than 3 months ago.

By the way, surprised that you're sticking with Sandboxie 3.46 - there have been a huge number of bug/compatibility fixes (and some minor security fixes) since that version, and also some useful new features too.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Started using Shadow Defender again  Empty Re: Started using Shadow Defender again

Post by Guest 9/7/2011, 17:53

I stuck with the old version on principal as I didn't/don't like the new licencing model, I have a genuine paid lifetime licence for the new versions and I realize that I may be missing out but the last of the old licence versions suits my purposes well and is stable on my system, often I choose older tried and tested versions of software if they meet my needs.

ssj100 wrote:
By the way, surprised that you're sticking with Sandboxie 3.46 - there have been a huge number of bug/compatibility fixes (and some minor security fixes) since that version, and also some useful new features too.

Back to top Go down

Post by jna90 23/8/2011, 01:47

The title of this thread and the comment about SD from Patrick is exactly my own situation right now.
I'm still using ShadowDefender, together with AV software and malwarebytes. And latest version of Sandboxie, mainly because of 64-bit support I usually want to run the latest beta release of SBie.

I like to stick with Shadowdefender but I'm still somewhat worried of the 'frozen' state of the product development.
I use SD on my 64-bit host and 32-bit guest system (vmware virtualization).
The main reason is like the above, the 64-bit support.
Other products, like for instance Returnil are not entirely there yet with the 64-bit portion of the software.

But I'm thinking about switching to Returnil because of continued support and development, and eventually 64-bit support.

But the most worrying thing about all of these products is, how will they function under Windows 8, will they function at all ?
Or is there no need anymore. I'd still like to use third party software to enhance security, I don't want to rely solely on microsoft windows to handle all of the security. Wink
But I think this is something for a new thread.

jna90

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 23/8/2011, 09:54

jna90 wrote:But the most worrying thing about all of these products is, how will they function under Windows 8, will they function at all ?
This is also something I'm wondering about. I'm still (very) happily using Windows XP, 32-bit, and so are the systems at my work (for the forseeable future too). I plan to abandon XP once Microsoft themselves abandon it in 2014 - perhaps I will be using Windows 8 by 2013.

I don't think there's enough information yet on Windows 8 to draw any firm conclusions on its security and third party security potential. Once the Beta version is out, I'm sure we (and tzuk) will have a much better idea. Until then, I'm sticking with what's been working perfectly for me for so long.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24/8/2011, 01:18

Yes, me too Smile

ssj100
"I'm sticking with what's been working perfectly for me for so long."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down