ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guest account Vs Standard user account in Windows 7?

2 posters

Go down

Guest account Vs Standard user account in Windows 7? Empty Guest account Vs Standard user account in Windows 7?

Post by Peace 2/1/2011, 17:23

Afaik lua in Xp are more secure than a guest account but what about Win7?
What if we implemented these restriction http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff687018.aspx on the guest account and then compared it with a sua (without srp or applocker) in Win7?
thanks

Peace

Back to top Go down

Guest account Vs Standard user account in Windows 7? Empty Re: Guest account Vs Standard user account in Windows 7?

Post by p2u 2/1/2011, 20:08

The guest account is available for users with no assigned account on the computer. I'm not sure if that's what you really want.

Paul

p2u
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Guest account Vs Standard user account in Windows 7? Empty Re: Guest account Vs Standard user account in Windows 7?

Post by Peace 3/1/2011, 15:52

Mr Paul, which one are more secure in Win7, a guest account with restrictions implemented (see above link) or a sua?

(Xp, guest Vs lua discussions)
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=04d7dd503fe5a23f8e5c5a86079385f7&t=238511&highlight=guest+account+limited

Peace

Back to top Go down

Post by p2u 3/1/2011, 18:22

Peace wrote:Mr Paul, which one are more secure in Win7, a guest account with restrictions implemented (see above link) or a sua?
Although the "Guest" account seems safer, I would still avoid using it, especially permanently. Microsoft disables it for a reason.

A "User" is a member of the "Users group", which the administrator is supposed to control and is exactly what you see when you look at the groups membership. One of the members of the "User" group is the so-called "Authenticated User" (= any account that has been authenticated; i.e. logged in with credentials).

Now when you have enabled the "Guest" account, you will see that users who have logged on as "Guest" are members of the obscure "Everyone" group, but not members of "Users" or "Authenticated Users".

The differences between the Everyone, Users, and Authenticated Users groups are not so obvious from their group names. To make a long story short, the "Everyone" group is the least secure of these groups because it is what is says: it includes everyone and you cannot control who is in this group. Although I can't prove anything because this group is not too well documented, I would not want to run the risk of any null sessions and other built-in "features" and surprises. For secure NTFS permissions I can only recommend you use "Authenticated Users", and not "Everyone".

Paul

p2u
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace 4/1/2011, 15:30

Mr Paul, thank you for your informative reply and patience

Peace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down