ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parental Controls as an SRP for Windows 7 Home users

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Parental Controls as an SRP for Windows 7 Home users - Page 3 Empty Re: Parental Controls as an SRP for Windows 7 Home users

Post by Troy45 19/1/2011, 12:04

ssj100 wrote:
Troy45 wrote:It seems the C:\Windows\Tasks directory will let you execute programs such as Process Explorer. It's not restricted. hmm
C:\Windows\Tasks directory is not the only one. Check this out:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1658981&postcount=31

Ok thanks will be reading more about this and do more testing. Smile

Troy45

Back to top Go down

Parental Controls as an SRP for Windows 7 Home users - Page 3 Empty Re: Parental Controls as an SRP for Windows 7 Home users

Post by ssj100 19/1/2011, 12:09

Yes, it can get quite confusing. Keep in mind that Windows also has User allow/deny file/folder permissions, so there are almost always some exceptions.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by p2u 19/1/2011, 12:59

Troy45 wrote:It seems the C:\Windows\Tasks directory will let you execute programs such as Process Explorer. It's not restricted. hmm
ssj100 wrote:Yes, it can get quite confusing. Keep in mind that Windows also has User allow/deny file/folder permissions, so there are almost always some exceptions.
That's right. Just tried to launch Process Explorer from C:\Windows\Tasks, but instead of the usual Parental Controls notification, I get this:

Parental Controls as an SRP for Windows 7 Home users - Page 3 Tasks

Meaning: "Access denied to device, path or file. You may not have the right to access this object" (or something of that nature).
That's because I placed that object into "Tasks" as the Admininstrator. But if I put that object into "Tasks" as a user, I can still execute it. Besides, this applies to ANY program, not only to the ones that were already whitelisted in other locations. Sad

Paul

p2u
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 20/1/2011, 10:15

This is why it's important to block execution from those "14 exceptions" with additional SRP or AppLocker rules. This applies for Windows 7, although I suspect it's similar for Vista.

For the directories to block on Windows XP, refer to my security setup/approach post - there are 7 exceptions that I identified.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by p2u 26/1/2011, 23:45

Troy45 wrote:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers TransparentEnabled is set at 2.
Bad news. My Vista keeps setting the "0" value back after a couple of minutes or so, even when the Administrator is the owner of the object. Besides, dll's are not blocked anyway; additionally only .lnk. Checked with Robin Keir's Firehole leaktest.

Paul

p2u
Valued Member
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3