ssj100 Security Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sandboxie's Start/run access settings

3 posters

Go down

Sandboxie's Start/run access settings Empty Sandboxie's Start/run access settings

Post by Mart 2/7/2010, 00:28

ssj100 or someone else can please explain or guiding me how to setup Sandboxie's settings Start/run access and Internet access [Restrictions].My forced programs VLC,Foxit,Firefox,WMP.

Thanks

Mart

Back to top Go down

Sandboxie's Start/run access settings Empty Re: Sandboxie's Start/run access settings

Post by noorismail 2/7/2010, 02:09

Mart:

Just until ssj100 or some one else comes along with more details,I can
tell you my configuration.

I also force the programs you list,plus IE8,and most of my games.

I have one box that allows only Firefox.exe to start/run and access the internet. drop my rights is enabled.
under resource access/blocked files,I have added my C/Documents folder.

A second box is a mirror image of the first,only IE8 is alone allowed to start run/access internet.

A third sandbox allows Foxit,VLC,WMP, to start/run,but internet access is blocked. drop my rights is enabled.
In resource access,I have had to selectively block only a few folders,
in C:Documents,so my PDF's,Music,etc can be accessed by the programs.

I have a forth box,that is my game box,set up pretty well like the others,
only with under restrictions/hardware access,I have allow programs in sandbox to simulate keyboard/mouse movement,some of the games need this.

If you run a stock install of Firefox 3.6.6 you will need to add plugin container exe
to start/run,access internet if you want some media on some sites to play.

ssj100 covered a lot more detail here:https://ssj100.forumotion.com/free-for-all-f4/ssj100-s-security-setup-t4.htm

noor
noorismail
noorismail

Back to top Go down

Sandboxie's Start/run access settings Empty Re: Sandboxie's Start/run access settings

Post by Mart 2/7/2010, 02:37

Thanks noorismail
My first question This is Restriction option so if i add firefox exe to Restrictions-->Start /Run Access it will block firefox or it will only allow firefox nothing else.

"A third sandbox allows Foxit,VLC,WMP, to start/run,but internet access is blocked. drop my rights is enabled".

So if i do this it will block foxit,s Internet access ..so if i wants read one pdf file from web ..i gonna get error from sandboxie

Mart

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 03:08

Mart wrote:My first question This is Restriction option so if i add firefox exe to Restrictions-->Start /Run Access it will block firefox or it will only allow firefox nothing else.

It will only allow Firefox to start/run and nothing else. The same concept applies with Internet access restrictions.

Mart wrote:"A third sandbox allows Foxit,VLC,WMP, to start/run,but internet access is blocked. drop my rights is enabled".

So if i do this it will block foxit,s Internet access ..so if i wants read one pdf file from web ..i gonna get error from sandboxie

I would have thought most pdf files from the web would be viewed through your browser. Just experiment a bit and see what works for your computer habits. If you get a deny error from Sandboxie, simply change the rules in your Sandboxie to allow the appropriate access.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

https://ssj100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mart 2/7/2010, 03:17

Thanks

im trying (only for test)
Add vlc in Restrictions-->start/Run access but im getting error from sandboxie

Mart

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 03:19

Mart wrote:Thanks

im trying (only for test)
Add vlc in Restrictions-->start/Run access but im getting error from sandboxie

Exactly what error are you getting?
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mart 2/7/2010, 03:46

dllhost.exe-Application Error
the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000010a)click Ok to close the application,
And message from sandboxie SBIE1308 program ´dllhost.exe'cannot start due to restrictions

Mart

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 2/7/2010, 03:51

Mart wrote:dllhost.exe-Application Error
the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000010a)click Ok to close the application,
And message from sandboxie SBIE1308 program ´dllhost.exe'cannot start due to restrictions

That's a little odd, but I suppose you'll need to add dllhost.exe to the start/run list to avoid the error. I'm not exactly sure what dllhost.exe is doing though. Are you sure your computer system is clean of malware?

The reason I say it's a little odd is because I've never had to add dllhost.exe to Sandboxie's start/run or internet access list before.

So this happens when you try to start vlc player sandboxed? Which OS are you using, which version of Sandboxie, and 32-bit or 64-bit? Thanks. I may be able to try and reproduce this if you give details.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mart 2/7/2010, 04:12

Im using Windows 7 ultimate X86
Sandboxie 3.45.20

I scanned with malwarebytes today and results clean.i always use sandboxie for my web browsing . (I think im doing something wrong )

Mart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 09:46

Actually ssj, I get a lot of dllhost.exe can not start messages, along with sandboxiecrypto.exe denied also. No idea what triggers them, and all I could think to do was allow them in Start/Run. Not ideal though. Have similar setup to Mart.

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 5/7/2010, 11:35

Hi, sorry I haven't checked this out yet. I'll eventually get Windows 7 Ultimate back in my VM. Have you tried with the final release (3.46)?
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mart 5/7/2010, 12:03

No problem...Yes now im using 3.46 version

and after i added dllhost.exe to Start/Run Access it works.

is it safe ?(Add dllhost.exe to Start/Run Access )

Mart

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 5/7/2010, 12:05

What I would recommend doing is to find dllhost.exe and upload it to VirusTotal and see what it says. If it's all clean, it's likely a safe Windows file:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/dllhost/

dllhost.exe is a process belonging to Microsoft Windows Operating System. The dllhost.exe file manages DLL based applications. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

http://www.file.net/process/dllhost.exe.html

File dllhost.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 5,120 bytes (87% of all occurrence), 7,168 bytes, 4,608 bytes, 5,632 bytes, 22,528 bytes, 22,016 bytes, 26,624 bytes, 25,600 bytes.
File dllhost.exe is a Windows system file. The program has no visible window. It is a Microsoft signed file.
ssj100
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mart 5/7/2010, 12:36

Thanks.....i uploaded it Virus Total and its clean

Mart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/7/2010, 13:57

Hi ssj

Have done the same as Mart, but what puzzles me is why Sandboxie doesn't recognise these (in my case) 2 files as being allowable.

Just had another one come up not allowed. rundll32.exe. Problem is if I keep allowing everything that needs to run, it kinda makes Sandboxie pointless.

Arn't these Windows system files supposed to be taken into account in default Sandboxie config?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down